Chapter Sixty

Standing atop the fortress, Damian watched angrily as the battle unfolded. He found it increasingly difficult to control his temper, for this misfit army of children, woodsmen, and traitorous Laymen had annoyed him long enough. The time had come to end this war once and for all. But this time, he wouldn't remain a spectator.

"May the power of the Realmsic Crystal burn you asunder," he said, revealing it around his neck.

Placing both hands upon it, Damian meditated. Instantly he felt the energy emanating from the gemstone. Concentrating deeper, he followed the sensation as it vibrated through his fingers and palms, into his arms, legs, and torso. With each deep breath, he felt its magical fire rise within his being.

Quietly, before he was even aware of it, the crystal possessed him, filling his brain with rapid visions and images. The knowledge of millennia cascaded from the spiritual Under-Realm and overwhelmed his mind. Within only a few moments He'd seen it all, and had discovered the ultimate truth regarding the Realmsic Crystal.

Unexpectedly, he fell to the ground, clutching his head. Pain seared behind his eyes like fire. He tried to resist the will of the crystal, but it already had him. Like a predator, the power embraced him and refused to let go. Fear flooded his heart like tidewater. He tried to resist the feeling of drowning, but he no longer had control. His body ached. It was as if his soul was being infused with all the original terror that created the Realm's energy. Curling into a fetal position, Damian convulsed in agony.

What's going on? Why is this happening?

The answer came to him like a shot of lightning through darkness. The Realm's energy was imbalanced, therefore the pressure needed to be released.

Using all of his strength, Damian crawled to the ledge of the fortress and painfully pulled himself up. Barely able to support his weight, he stood above the battle. He was only remotely aware of the tremendous bloodshed below. Outreaching a shaky hand, he slightly extended his index finger.

THOOOOOMMMMM!!!!

A solid streak of lightning exploded from his person and ripped across the battlefield. Every combatant within his vicinity was vaporized.

"Wooooo-hooooo!" Damian screamed in relief, for the intense pressure that built within his body had now been released.

"Victory will be mine!" he declared. Raising both hands into the sky, he fired two more continuous streams of lightning. Although it had nearly killed him, Damian had just mastered the power of the Realmsic Crystal. And now, it was time for King Maebus to die.

• • • • •

From amidst the battle, Maebus, Leoden and Kelm saw the lightning blast from atop the fortress.

"What was that?" Leoden asked.

"Just keep moving forward!" Maebus said, panting as they sprinted. "We have to get to him before it's too—"

Damian suddenly bounded off the top of the fortress. They all halted in their tracks. Maebus watched in utter disbelief as the Warlord free-fell several hundred feet to the ground.

"No way!" Leoden exclaimed.

Maebus too was shocked beyond words, for surely defeating Damian wasn't going to be this easy, was it? He saw the Warlord's body impact the ground, accompanied by a heavy cloud of dirt and debris.

Kelm covered his mouth. "Did Damian just kill himself? Was the power of the crystal too much for his mind to control?"

"I don't think anyone could've survived that fall," Leoden answered.