Chapter 19 - The Reception

Start from the beginning

"Thanks!"

I really don't know what to say... But I'd feel rude if I'd just walk away like I want to right now.

"So..." Oh crap! What should I say?

"Do you know the gender yet?" I find something to say.

"No, we are finding that out on Friday. 2 days from now."

"Oh. When is he or she due?"

"Around November maybe... She's three months pregnant now." He says.

We have a uncomfortably strange silence between us for what feels like forever. Then I come up with an excuse to leave.

"Hey," I ask Caleb, "Do you know where the restrooms are at?"

I just need an excuse to get away from him before I burst into tears or just walk away from the resemblance of his sister.

"They're around the drink table." He points across the room.

"Thanks! And if I don't run into you, congratulations!"

"Thanks!" I hear him call as I walk to the restrooms.

I go into the men's room dump my disgusting drink, toss the cup in the trash and wash off the sweat from my palms.

Reluctantly, I go back out to the reception room and sit at the table Chris and I were at earlier. I sit alone for a little while until Chris gets back. Then we sit for hours and eat some cake that is trash compared to Dauntless cake back home, but as for the moment, it will do. We don't say much, but we both k ow that the other wants to leave.

"I'm going to go change out of this dress, then why don't we try to catch the 11 o'clock train back to Dauntless headquarters." She says.

"Works for me." I say suddenly wide awake to the fact that I won't have to be in the same room with Caleb anymore.

It's probably about ten or so minutes until Chris comes ready leave. We walk all through the compound and finally find our way out. There isn't many people out concidering how late it is. It's kinda weird because Dauntless is most alive at eleven at night. How different factions can be...

We made it just in time because I hear the train whistle blow and see the light on the front of the train coming toward us. Christina starts to run and I follow; letting her get on first. We sit in silence for the twenty minute ride back to Dauntless.

I can't help but wonder if she sees Will in Cara like I see Tris in Caleb. If so, she's really good at hiding it. I would ask her, but I don't think I have the courage to.

I'm too much of a coward to ask.

Judging by our surroundings, we jump off the train and head back to the wing of the compound where the apartments are at. Her apartment comes first, so she's fiddling with her purse to get out her key.

"Thanks for dragging me along, honestly I'm really greatful. I haven't been out that much, and I wouldn't have gone if you hadn't forced me... So, thanks." I ramble on a little from the awkwardness.

She smiles.

"We both kind of needed each other to lean on; for support. I think I can speak for both of us when I say that wasn't too easy." She says looking down at her shoes, not making eye contact.

I nod not knowing what to say.

She smiles; a sad, sorrow filled smile, one I haven't seen her give anyone in a while... since shed coped some with their deaths.

"See you tomorrow." She says.

I wrap her in an embrace. Not a boyfriend/girlfriend like embrace, but an I'm here for you kind of one. I hold in tears and I feel some of her tears soak onto my shirt.

She is right. We need each other to lean on for support, because we know what the other is going through.

A/N-

Hi humans!

Remember that I told you all earlier on that Christina and Tobias won't be a couple! They are just... I'll call them coping friends. That will stay the same throughout this fanfic.

I have chosen (more like Google has chosen) the name for Tobias's German Shepard puppy! It will be announced in an upcoming chapter!

Stay amazing!

Thanks for reading!

VOTE!

AND

COMMENT!

AND

BE BRAVE <4