Iwaoi: Drawing the Line

"Remember when we first met?" Oikawa asked his best friend. Of course, Iwaizumi remembered. 

"Yeah, I do. Man, I was so into reading. I didn't want anything to do with anyone, I had my books and that was all I needed," Iwaizumi said, remembering his youth. He missed reading. That was all he used to do. 

"Of course, until I came along?"

"Hah! C'mon, we both know that's not true. I wouldn't talk to you, no matter how incessant you were that we go outside and play. Finally, one day, after your mom dropped you off, you came into my room holding a book. The same book I had been reading. And without even saying anything, you just sat down and started reading."

"Yeah, I wouldn't stop complaining to my mom about how you never talked to me, and she suggested that maybe I adapt to you, instead of expecting you to adapt to me. Little Oikawa was a few brain cells short, wasn't he?" Oikawa said with a laugh. 

"And slowly, through talking about books, I learned that real life people actually weren't that bad. Or, at least, I had found one that wasn't," Iwaizumi said sweetly. "Sometimes I doubt that that was a valid conclusion, though."

"Hey!" Oikawa threw a shoe at his friend. They were sitting on Iwaizumi's extremely messy floor. They were supposed to be cleaning. See, when things got busy and stressful, Iwaizumi was especially prone to giving up on doing anything that wasn't necessary, which for him, included cleaning. So, every once in a while, Iwaizumi's mom would call Oikawa and ask him to come over, begging for him to try to motivate Iwaizumi to drag himself out of whatever he was doing and pick up some of the stuff on his floor. Honestly, Oikawa usually noticed himself before that had to go down. And whenever this happened, Oikawa ended up doing most of the cleaning. 

Oikawa treated it as more of a cheering up session for Iwaizumi, that just came with a little tidying up. 

Oikawa didn't know if these ruts his best friend would fall into had a lot to do with mental health, and Iwaizumi wasn't the type to talk about that kind of thing, so Oikawa just did his best to help with whatever he could. So, finally, he got up to do some real cleaning. 

"Why do you ask?" Iwaizumi said. 

"Oh, I was just going through some drawers yesterday and I found a couple of the books we read together. It brought back good memories," Oikawa said, shelving some of Iwaizumi's own books. 

Iwaizumi looked at the ground. He felt bad whenever Oikawa had to come over to clean. He used to always insist that he was fine with the mess, that he didn't mind, but his mom wouldn't have it and neither would Oikawa. It did make him feel better when he wasn't kicking through clothes and shoes to get to his desk or his bed, but it never really helped anything in the long run. Things would just get bad again. They always did. 

But having Oikawa around helped a little bit. 

"Damn, I wish I still had time to read as much as I used to. These days, it's hard to get in more than a chapter each day," Iwaizumi said, swallowing his pride.

"You're telling me. I haven't read a book for fun in so long. To be fair, I was never all that into reading, I mostly just did it so you would talk to me," Oikawa says with an embarrassed look on his face. 

"Hey, we could always go back to that. I bet if I didn't talk to you unless you read would be a good motivator."

"Hey now, we both know that you can't go more than a day without talking to me," Oikawa said playfully, sticking his tongue out at Iwaizumi. But, he was right. Iwaizumi didn't think that he could go very long without at least texting Oikawa. Oikawa was his rock, the one person that made him feel at home wherever he was.