Kagehina: The View from the Summit

Winter was finally over and it was the first warm day of spring. Kageyama could feel the heavy weight of seasonal depression lifting off his shoulders. It was surprising how much of a difference a couple hours of daylight and warmer weather can make. 

And to make it all better, he was standing on the top of a mountain with the love of his life, Hinata Shoyo. 

As the first relatively warm day, the two had decided to go on a hike they had both been wanting to go on for a long time. It had led them up to a beautiful overlook, shadowy mountains in the distance and dense forest beneath them. And they had gotten there just in time for the sunset. 

Hinata's orange hair blended with the sunset and with the golden light on his face Kageyama was sure he had never seen something so beautiful in his life. 

"Stay right there, just like that," Kageyama said, fumbling for his phone. Hinata was standing sideways, his head turned towards Kageyama with a huge smile on his face. He quickly snapped the picture and then ran towards his boyfriend, enveloping the smaller boy in a hug. 

"I love you, Shoyo," Kageyama said, his head buried in Hinata's shoulder. 

"I love you, too, Tobio," Hinata said, hugging Kageyama tighter. 

"I'm so glad we got to do this," Kageyama said, letting Hinata go and taking off his drawstring bag. He pulled out some cheese and crackers, along with a bag of cashews and two water bottles. They sat down at the edge of the overhang, their feet dangling off the rocks. 

"This is perfect." And it really was. It was too early for bugs to be out, and it wasn't too hot or too cold. It was just right. Everything was just right. 

Hinata couldn't help staring at his boyfriend. When he turned the right way, the sun hit his dark blue eyes and made them sparkle like the night sky. The slight breeze ruffled his dark hair and blew it ever so slightly upward. A soft smile played on the edges of his lips.

"Need anything, Shoyo?" Hinata blinked. He had kind of zoned out a little bit.

"No. I'm perfectly happy right here!"

"So... would you mind if I did this?" Kageyama leaned in a softly kissed Hinata on the forehead. 

"No," Hinata said with a giggle. 

"Or this?" Another kiss on the cheek. 

"No," Hinata said again, holding back a grin. 

"What about this?" This time, Kageyama put his hand on Hinata's cheek in pulled him in, meeting his lips with his own. 

Hinata didn't even bother responding and just pulled Kageyama closer so that their chests were right up against each other. This was it. A perfect moment. 

Their perfect moment. 

For the next half hour or so, Hinata and Kageyama watch the sunset, with Hinata resting his head on Kageyama's shoulder and Kageyama's arm loosely draped across Hinata's back. 

The two had never been happier. 

Before it got too dark, they set up their hammock in some nearby trees. They tied up their food and everything and tied it up on a branch. There weren't supposed to be bears around here, but it didn't hurt to take precautions

They went back and laid down on the rocks, looking up at the stars. 

"Shoyo, how much do you think about the future?"

"Oh, I don't know. I mostly try to focus on the present most of the time."

"Yeah, I get that, but recently I haven't been able to get it out my head, you know? Like I can't help but wonder what will be different in 5 or 10 years, what will be the same. I can't help but hope."

"Well, then tell me. Tell me about your hopes for the future," Hinata said, turning over on his side so he can look at his boyfriend. 

So Kageyama did. He talked about graduating college, what kind of job he thought he might want. He talked about where he wanted to live, what kind of house in what kind of place. 

"But most of all, I want to still be with you. I want to live in a house with you and I want to do all the things you do when you live in a house with someone. I want to go grocery shopping with you, I want to look for furniture with you, I want to hang up funny looking art with you, I want to look for kitchen ware with you. I want to do all of it with you." Kageyama was still looking up at the sky, so he didn't notice the slow tears that were welling in Hinata's eyes. "I want to get married to you. Maybe even have kids with you. Obviously not yet! We're still a little young for that." 

Kageyama turned to see tears streaming down Hinata's cheek. Before he could say anything, Hinata interrupted. 

"That sounds perfect, Tobio," Hinata said, grasping Kageyama's hand. "That sounds absolutely, amazingly, perfectly perfect." 

After another hour or two, they got up to get ready to go to bed. Hinata paused, looking out over the forest on more time.

"So, this is it. The view from the summit," he said wistfully. 

"Do you mean that literally, or metaphorically?" Kageyama asked, stepping beside his boyfriend, looking down at his face. 

"Both." Hinata made eye contact with Kageyama, and knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that everything was going to work out just right. 

Yeah, this was it. The view from the summit. 

everytime i write fluff, it just makes me that much more sad that no one is ever going to love me and i will forever be alone

but will that stop me? absolutely not