Kagehina: Again

Hi! This is me dealing with my everlasting sadness! Hope it doesn't suck (haven't really written anything in years :/)

He's here. Again. 

Kageyama fixes his eyes on the orange haired boy who just walked into bookstore. This boy comes in at the same time on every Saturday, everyday since Kageyama has been working here. He will grab five or six books, sit down in a chair, read a chapter or so of each, and then take two he decides he likes. Sometimes, he takes more, sometimes less. But every week, he comes in. And every time it is during Kageyama's shift. 

Kageyama got this job a few months ago when he first started college. It's a local bookstore, tucked into the edge of downtown. Just in the right position where people can walk by it without even noticing that it's there. Maybe the owner's don't think that's great, but Kageyama likes how quiet it is and how he recognizes the regulars. His boss even lets him read his own book when there's only a few people in the store. It's a pretty good gig, he would say.

Kageyama turns his attention back to the orange haired boy. He likes the regulars, but this kid is more regular than any of them. He must love reading, if he goes through two books a week. How does he have the time? Between classes, this job, and playing on the school volleyball team, Kageyama barely has any time to sleep. 

They boy is still browsing the bookshelves. Should Kageyama go over and ask if he needs any help? Kageyama has found that most people would rather not be spoken to,  and if they are really desperate they will come to him themselves. But this guy has been looking longer than usual, most of the time it only takes him a few minutes to pick out several books. Why not? Maybe Kageyama can make a new friend.

"Hey, you need help finding anything?" Kageyama asks as he walks towards the boy. 

"You know, I've been coming here for a few months and you have yet to ask me that, until today," he responds.

"You've just always looked like you knew what you were looking for. We're only supposed to approach customers who wander around with that confused look on their faces," Kageyama says calmly. Who knew that this guy would just immediately criticize him upon their first meeting?

"Well what changed today?" Jeez.  

"You were just taking longer than usual."

"So you've been paying attention to me." Kageyama sighs. This guy really won't let up.  

"Well, it is kind of my job to pay attention to the customers. I do happen to work here." Kageyama gestures to his apron with the store logo on it. 

"Well, it never seems to get very busy in here, so I guess it's hard to not focus on me," the boy says with a smirk. Suddenly Kageyama realizes. Is he flirting? He squints at Kageyama's name tag. "Hello Kageyama. I am Hinata. And I would like help finding the graphic novels."

"Right this way," Kageyama says as he begins to walk through the bookstore. He is somewhat confident that this Hinata wanted him to ask if he needed help because this bookstore if fairly small and it is not hard to find anything in here. Especially with how often he's here, it doesn't quite add up. 

"So, do you like working here? Seems peaceful. I love this place, best bookstore in town," Hinata says absentmindedly. 

"Yeah it's really nice. It's a good break from my otherwise chaotic life," Kageyama responds. 

"Chaotic? How so?"

"Well, classes are a lot harder this semester than they were last semester. I have a two labs, along with a Calc class I don't understand and a 9:00am history class that I can never stay awake in," Kageyama says. This semester really has done a number on him. "Also, I'm on the volleyball team here. We're not great, but we still have practice everyday. It's exhausting."

"Volleyball? I played in high school! I haven't been able to find the time recently, though..." Hinata trails off as if he wanted to say more, but decided against it. 

"Hey, well maybe you can drop by practice sometime. It's not a super official team so I'm sure you could join in on some practice matches," Kageyama says in hopes of seeing Hinata more. 

"Yeah, maybe," Hinata says with a sigh. After a few moments, Kageyama asks a question to break the silence. 

"So you must really like to read, right? You buy like, 2 books a week."

"They're actually not for me," Hinata says with a blush. He puts his arm behind his head a looks down, as if he doesn't want to say what he was about to say. "They are for my sister. She's in the hospital. With Leukemia." Kageyama opens his mouth to say something, but Hinata stops him. "You don't have to apologize, or give condolences or anything like that. I've heard it all before. I'm just trying to keep her happy, that's all." 

"That's nice," Kageyama says. Luckily, he was saved from trying to continue to the conversation because the two had reached the graphic novels section. "Well, here they are."

"Thank you," Hinata says softly, looking down. Just as Kageyama is turning away, Hinata continues, "I'm sorry. That was a lot to dump on a stranger. I guess, I don't really think of you as a stranger, though. You're the cute boy who works at the bookstore, who always has a book in his pocket and will sometimes lean against the back wall while he's reading smiling softly at the book in his hands." Hinata stares off into space with a slight curve to his lips. Suddenly, he seems to realize what he just said. "Oh, I'm so sorry! That must have sounded so creepy! Oh god, I've ruined it..." 

But Kageyama doesn't hear the rest of Hinata's lament. The word 'cute' is repeating over and over in his head. So Hinata has been paying attention as well. 

"It's okay, it's okay," Kageyama says, trying to calm Hinata, "I've noticed you, too, and not in the way I notice other customers." Kageyama feels his face begin to warm. "Do you want to get coffee sometime?" he blurts. Hinata's eyes get wide. 

"Yes, oh yes I would! I thought this day would never come!" Hinata looks like he's holding in a huge grin. Looking at him, Kageyama's smile gets wider as well. Maybe this is the next good thing in life, Kageyama knows he sure needs another good thing. 

"I'm glad I could help."

"Don't customer service me!" Hinata teases, pushing Kageyama with his shoulder affectionately. 

Yeah, this will be a good thing.

-

I'm so exhausted, but this was actually a lot of fun to write! Whether I'll actually get back into writing or not, who's to say, but here's this! It feels good to write again :)

-FM