Kagehina: The Best

Hinata's POV

I raced toward the gym, Kageyama only a few steps behind me. I decided to take the shortcut across the grass instead of just staying on the sidewalk. I turned my head to see Kageyama gaining on me, so after sprinting a few more steps, I flung myself onto the ground and screamed as loud as I could. Kageyama came to an immediate halt next to me and bent down quickly.

"Hinata! Are you okay? Oh my god, are you hurt? Hinata!"

I came out of my curled up position to look at him, my face scrunched up in mock pain. The amount of concern on his face surprised me so much I almost lost face for a second. I removed my hand from my ankle and put it in his. 

"Help me up," I said with a grimace on my face. 

"No, here, let me take a look at it," Kageyama said sincerely.

"No, no, no, I'll be fine if I just get up and walking a little." Kageyama furrowed his eyebrows but helped me up anyway. After taking a few steps while leaning on him, I quickly turned, and with all my strength pushed him to the ground and took off running. After a few seconds of shock, Kageyama got up, sprinting after me shouting, "dumbass!! Hinata you dumbass!" I reached the gym a few seconds before he did, and put my bag in front of my face to avoid anything he has to throw at me. 

Kageyama, red-faced but keeping his cool, walked past me into the gym and I cautiously followed him. He put his bag down and stiffly walked over to the volleyball cart. He calmly grabbed two balls and then I made the mistake of turning to put my own bag down as well. 

A ball going the speed of a car hit me in the side and another quickly came at my head. My body hit the court and I laid there, trying to get a reaction out of Kageyama, but all I got was another ball pegged at me. I flipped over onto my back and groaned loudly.

"KAGEYAMA. You are gonna hurt me for real if you keeping throwing those at me." Another ball hit my chest. A violent cough escaped me. "Officially dead," I croaked.

"Dumbass, get over here and practice some spikes."

"No, I'm dead. Didn't you hear me?"

"You actually will be dead if you keep laying there and I will have been the one that killed you. Now get up." I could feel Kageyama's glare even though I couldn't see him.

"No, I can't go on. Tell my family I love them."

Silence.

I peeked over at Kageyama with one eye and saw him standing there, completely dumbfounded.

"You continue to disappoint me with your stupidity," Kageyama said in a monotone voice. I hauled myself up from the floor and trudged over to Kageyama.

"You're one to talk. I think you gave me a concussion."

"No I didn't, dumbass." Just then Sugawara walked in with Daichi and they looked at us with blank expressions. Daichi sighed.

"Can you guys ever behave yourselves?" Sugawara remarked. Kageyama and I didn't say anything. I managed a weak smile.

"Never mind. Practice will start in 10 minutes. Collect yourselves." Daichi walked toward the changing rooms and Sugawara set his bag down.

"Sorry, captain," Kageyama and I said in unison.

"Why are you so mean to me?" I whispered to Kageyama.

"Why are you such a dumbass?" Kageyama retorted.

"See, this is what I mean." Kageyama looked me hard in the eyes. I returned his stare. As we continued looking at each other, his stare softened. His eyes wandered down to my lips, but I continued to focus my eyes on his. When his eyes made their way back up to meet mine, there was something more intense about his stare. He leansed toward me and my eyes widened, wondering what he could possibly be doing. But just then, Nishinoya-senpai and Tanaka-senpai burst into the gym yelling. Kageyama took several steps back from me as I realized how close we were.