21 : Draco

Song for the Chapter: She Will Be Loved ~ Maroon 5

Draco's POV

I couldn't remember falling asleep, but when I woke up I was lying in the hospital wing. All I remembered was being the most gentlemanly person I knew and giving Hermione my Quidditch robe, then talking for a while in the stands. I must have been pretty tired.

Judging by the light, and the amount of noise coming from the hall, it must have been around breakfast time. I was wearing a set of my own robes, and I almost jumped out of my skin when I realised who was sitting beside me.

"Jesus, Granger!" I whisper-shouted, sitting up in bed. Hermione smiled and rolled her eyes. She didn't look at all like somebody who had spent the night in the Quidditch pitch stands. She'd obviously brought me back to the castle while I was sleeping. Seriously, that girl thought of everything.

"My name is Hermione," she reminded me quietly. I stared at her, dumbstruck, registering what she'd said, then nodded quickly.

"Sure," I said, then grinned broadly. "Hermione."

She wrinkled her nose and grimaced at the sound of her name. "You know what?" She said, amused. "I think I prefer Granger."

I laughed. "No, you've asked for it now, Hermione," I teased loudly. Just as she looked like she was about to throttle me, Madam Pomfrey arrived beside the bed and shoved a spoonful of a burning liquid down my throat, threw a wet cloth across my forehead and changed my sheets with a flick of her wand.

"If you'd like to eat breakfast in here, Mr Malfoy," she said in a bored voice. "Then you and Miss Granger can go." Hermione smiled up at her in reply when I said nothing, and a breakfast tray appeared on my lap. I'd never seen that before in the hospital wing. Apparently, the breakfast in there was better than the stuff in the hall.

"I'm sorry I came to your practice yesterday," mumbled Hermione in a small voice. "If I hadn't, then none of this would have happened."

I stared at her blankly. "What do you mean?" I demanded angrily. "Of course it wasn't your fault! You might be the brightest witch of your age, Hermione, but you can be a bit thick."

She giggled, but a strange look passed her face momentarily. Finally she said, "You called me Hermione again."

I frowned, then laughed. "Did I?" I said. "Sorry. I didn't even think about it that time."

Hermione flushed pink. "It's okay. I - I don't really mind. It's actually kind of nice."

"Good, because now I'm not going to be able to remember to call you Granger," I said, laughing. Hermione fell silent while I ate, then pushed the breakfast tray aside and clambered out of bed to join her.

"I've got Potions first," Hermione said quickly. "I'd better go."

I looked at her, bewildered. "Well, I've got potions, too," I said. "Surely you remembered? Don't you want to go together?"

"Oh. Well, I - I need to go to the library before Potions. So - I'll see you there."

I hesitated, then nodded. "Okay. See you there." And with that, she ducked out of sight quickly in between crowds of other kids. I wondered what had come over her so quickly. It was like she was a totally different person. 

Speaking of totally different people - Pansy Parkinson and her brand-spanking-new boyfriend came sauntering down the corridor towards the dungeons at that moment. I almost threw up when I saw Theodore Nott attached firmly to her arm, looking like a lovesick puppy.

"Oh, hello, Draco!" Sang Pansy brightly, waving to me as she passed. "I'm just going to Potions with my boyfriend, Theodore." She nudged his arm and he smiled dazedly. "So I think I'll be working with my boyfriend today in Potions. Just so you know."

I rolled my eyes, stuck my hands in my pockets and marched the other way. That was the last thing I needed to ruin my day.

Author's Note: Hi! We're almost at 400 reads ALREADY!! It was like 2 chapters ago we hit 300...thank you so much! This book already has more comments than Dramione lol <3
Vote and comment everyone!