13 : Draco

Song for the Chapter : Demons ~ Imagine Dragons

Draco's POV

I felt bad for Hermione. Don't get me wrong, I had a load of self-pity - but I couldn't remember feeling so guilty about something since I became a Death Eater. Tears glittered in her eyes, but I could tell she was trying to hide them. I'd noticed she did that a lot.

"I'm sorry." I didn't know if she knew, but I meant it. Sincerely. I wanted to tell her I was sorry properly, but that had always been difficult for me. Especially since I was a popular, arrogant Slytherin boy, and had been all my life.

"Are you?" Hermione swallowed, her voice cracking with emotion. "Look, all you've done since a few days ago is confuse me. I just want to know why. What was it for, the hug, the dinner, everything? Do you want to be friends, do you want to make fun of me, spread rumours - just tell me what you want!"

"Listen. Even if I knew what I wanted, I couldn't tell you. I don't know what I want. Friendship? Maybe. I can't explain it. Just stay away from me. Then maybe you won't bloody cry so much."

I turned away from her and stuck my hands in my pockets, trying to whistle out a tune. Finally, I pressed my lips together and started to whistle as I sauntered down the corridor away from her. And as soon as I slipped around the corner of the corridor, I leant against the wall of the castle and stifled tears.

What the hell was wrong with me? I hardly knew Hermione. She didn't even like me. She hated me. So why did I feel so bad about telling her to stay away? 

I took a deep breath and glanced back around the corner, but Hermione was gone. I regretted being so annoyed with her. Trying to get away from her. If I could, I'd have dinner with her every night. Now I might never have dinner with her again.

So maybe I haven't been the goofy, smirking idiot that I usually am lately. And I can't explain it, so don't expect me to. You tell me why I get weirdly nervous whenever she even looks at me. You tell me why I invited her to dinner, why I let her hug me.

I. Don't. Know.

"Draco? Draco, why the hell are you here?" 

Blaise rounded the corner and I instantly swallowed my tears. "Hi," I smirked. I sighed darkly and found myself looking back over my shoulder again. Still no sign of Hermione. "What do you want?"

"Just finished breaking up with your girlfriend?" Grinned Blaise. I elbowed him in the arm and we walked back to the common room silently. I didn't want to reply. I was scared I would feel the lump in my throat rise.

What had been a pretty good day had turned into a pretty bad one, and it was made even worse by Pansy Parkinson sauntering over to me as soon as I entered the common room. She grabbed my arm, placed a huge kiss on my cheek (again, more of a slobbery wipe with her lips) and sat on my lap as soon as I took a seat.

I looked around. The common room was full of people smiling at me, pranking and fighting. Pansy was sitting on my lap and smothering me with kisses. And Blaise was sitting on the edge of the armchair, telling stupid jokes and making me laugh.

Why the hell did I need somebody as complex as Hermione when I had people like Blaise? And maybe Pansy was the most disgusting girlfriend ever, but she was a lot easier to make out with than someone like Hermione.

So I pushed complicated thoughts of her to the back of my mind, kissed Pansy full on the lips - much to the excitement of Blaise - and chatted loudly, wildly. Slytherin-style.

But forgetting about Hermione wasn't so easy.

Author's Note: Hi! Not much to say about this chapter to be honest...Vote and comment everyone! I just noticed that Dramione has hit 1K reads and I'm absolutely crazy!!Thanks for reading :)