17 : Draco

Song for the Chapter: Read All About It, Pt III ~ Emeli Sandé

Draco's POV

"Draco, you're not eating."

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Pansy. Yet again another great reason why I have you around, I thought miserably. I looked around the great hall for the hundredth time over breakfast. Hermione still wasn't there. 

Was it right for me to care about her? No. Did I care about her? No. But after awkwardly carrying her to the hospital wing without magic last night, having to face a cranky, half-asleep Madam Pomfrey and a throttling from Ginny Weasley, I'd say I had the adventure of a lifetime. And I wanted to make sure Hermione was okay. Just a little.

"I know, Pansy," I replied wearily. I looked down at my bowl of cereal and pushed it away, leaning back and folding my arms tight, scanning the hall again. Pansy leaned over and started trying to kiss me, but I shoved her away - a little more roughly than I meant to.

"Hey!" Shrieked Pansy, curling up defensively along the bench and pouting at me. "That hurt."

"Pansy, to be honest, I really don't care right now," I muttered, hardly concentrating on her. "I'm not in the mood. Just - go talk to somebody else, okay? I'll catch up with you after potions." Pansy sighed, then nodded gloomily and headed out of the hall, leaving me alone. Thank God.

After what felt like an eternity, Hermione entered the hall. She was wincing a little, but other than that it looked as though her head had been completely healed. I tried to catch her eye but I could tell she was avoiding me. For the first time since I'd said it, I started to regret telling her to stay away from me. 

I missed her. Just a little. Even just her smirking at me in the corridors, rolling her eyes - I just wanted something to show me that she didn't completely hate me. She sat down beside the Weasley girl and started talking uncertainly, then glanced over at me darkly. I looked away, face flushed.

So, when the bell rang for the start of potions, I plucked up all of my Malfoy confidence and walked over to her with the least amount of swagger and smirking I could muster. Hermione obviously didn't take it well, as she stood, picked up her bag, and started to walk swiftly away from me.

"Granger!" I called. "Granger, wait!" She stopped dead and turned around, her face dark and angry as thunderclouds with that Professor McGonagall look. I was seriously scared.

"What?" She snapped angrily. "Come to see if I'm all right, have you? Come to say sorry, on behalf of your stupid friend? Of course you haven't. So if you've come to do anything else, Malfoy, you can f--"

"I'm sorry."

Hermione raised her eyebrows. "Sorry?" She repeated quietly. "Are you?"

I sighed. "Look, what does it take to get you to believe me?" I asked furiously. "I said I'm sorry. I'm sorry about Blaise, I'm sorry about not being the perfect saviour last night. But I could have carried on walking, Granger. I could have ignored you."

"Well, I wish - I wish you had!" Cried Hermione, tears flickering in her eyes. "All you ever do is make my life difficult. You and your stupid friends. If it makes you feel better, I want to talk to you. Hell, maybe we could even have dinner again! But to be honest, I don't even know if I can trust you, Malfoy. And until I can, I don't even - just leave me alone."

"Fine!" I snapped. 

Hermione stared at me hopelessly, then turned away and stormed out of the hall. I swallowed my guilt and glared after her with all the anger I could manage, but it melted away pretty quickly. I wasn't angry with her. I just wanted to be on good-enough-terms with her again. But then again, who would trust a Malfoy?

Author's Note: Hi! I'm so excited, I just entered Dramione into the #SpringAwards2020 and it got accepted <3 Vote and comment everyone, keep showing your amazing support! :)