4 : Hermione

Song for the Chapter : A Thousand Years ~ Christina Perri

Hermione's POV

Yeah, okay, I know what you're thinking: Hermione's gone crazy and needs to see a doctor immediately. Don't worry, that's what I was thinking too. But I wasn't crazy - just stupidly emotional. I mean, seriously - hugging Draco Malfoy? What had gotten into me?

That's not saying that it wasn't worth the awkwardness, though. He smelled great. And I know that makes me sound even more like a lunatic, but he did. His cologne was crazy strong and overpoweringly sweet, like lavender or jasmine maybe. It was, at least, different to Ron, who smelled of whatever he happened to be eating. Gross.

I had expected Draco to push me away and glare at me, but instead he just stood there. He wasn't exactly comfortable, and he wasn't hugging me back. After a while I rested my hands against his chest and my head in the nook between where his neck and shoulder connected, feeling the tears start to dry on my cheeks before they reached his robes.

"What did I tell you?" Joked Draco, obviously in an attempt to uphold his careless attitude. "You're not okay." He eased himself away from me with a kind of look that was a mix of worry and something else I couldn't explain - confusion, maybe? I don't know. Ron may have the emotional range of a teaspoon, but I wasn't one to talk - my emotional range could vary from a tablespoon to a cup at any one time, so to speak.

"Maybe." I sniffed hopefully, wondering if I was going to cry any more that day. I checked my watch. It had only been five minutes. "Anyway, I should go now. I don't want to miss my lesson."

"Are you serious?" Asked Draco, jogging up the stairs behind me. "You can't go! You've literally been crying on me all morning." I glared at him with a look that I'd learnt from Molly Weasley and Minerva McGonagall respectfully, and he backed down.

"Fine," he mumbled. As I marched up the steps, he called after me, "But don't blame me when you start crying in charms!" I stopped dead. How the hell did he know I hard charms? I turned back around, but he was gone, hands in his pockets, whistling as he sauntered down the corridor towards his common room.

Today is only going to get weirder, I thought dismissively.

I was ten minutes late to charms, but seeing as the news of my breakup with Ron had spread amongst the Gryffindors, and indeed the whole school, like wildfire, nobody seemed to care or notice. I slipped into my chair with my head bowed and picked up quickly on the work, although my mind was elsewhere.

Ron and Harry were sitting together on a table while they worked on a charm together, and I couldn't help noticing them both casting dark looks in my direction whenever I looked over at them. It brought me to the brink of tears again, but as soon as I thought of what Draco had said I swallowed them and furrowed my brow determinedly.

I ate lunch alone, at the end of the Gryffindor table, and noticed how Draco kept trying to catch my eye from the Slytherins. I refused to look at him. You know, at the time, I'd actually thought he was being nice. But now I realised that all he wanted was a story to share with his friends.

What was I thinking, to trust Draco Malfoy? But as I looked around and saw how deserted the places around me were, I realised I didn't really have many people left that I could trust.

Author's Note: Hi! There should be a new part coming soon, hopefully today. Vote and comment as always, and if you want I'm open to song suggestions! :)