16 : Hermione

Song for the Chapter: Yellow ~ Coldplay

Hermione's POV

Being completely knocked into and walked over by Draco Malfoy's drunk Slytherin friends wasn't exactly how I'd planned my quiet girl's-night-in-style evening with Ginny. But somebody had to go and get the snacks. And that somebody was me. Except apparently the Slytherins had made plans, too.

As soon as my head hit the floor I knew something wasn't right. My vision was fuzzy, either from tears or actual lightheadedness I wasn't sure. When I touched the back of my head, I felt blood on my hands, and I started to panic. Then I started to get angry - when I saw who my saviour had turned out to be.

"You!" I groaned exasperatedly. Anybody but him, I thought miserably, anybody but him....

"Thanks for the warm welcome," muttered Draco Malfoy irritably. He placed his hand behind my head as I attempted to sit up, then pushed me back down again. I wanted to throttle him so badly, but in my current state that proved difficult. "Stop, stay still!" He whispered angrily. "You're hurt. I - I'm sorry about them."

"Are you?" I snapped, wincing as I raised my voice. "You can go and find your friends and your girlfriend and have some fun. I'll be fine on my own, thanks." I struggled into a sitting position and was just about to stand up when black spots danced in front of my eyes, my knees buckled and I dropped to the floor. If it hadn't been for Draco's hands around my shoulders I probably would have snapped those, too.

"I guess not." Draco grinned slightly, although his face was pale and stricken. "You need to get to the hospital wing. You're losing blood."

"Really?" I asked, voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Seriously, Granger, now isn't the time --" started Draco desperately, looking around as though Madam Pomfrey would magically appear around the corner. I mean, I knew Hogwarts was magic. Not that magic.

Finally, Draco turned his gaze back to me. "I'm going to have to carry you," he decided resolutely, although he winced at the thought. So did I. And I was willing to do anything to get out of being carried by him.

"Why don't you just levitate me?" I asked weakly. "Where's your wand?" I added, ready to perform the spell myself if I had to. As it was, my own wand was back in the Gryffindor girl's dorm with Ginny. Malfoy dug both hands in his pockets madly, then his face fell.

"I - err - might have left it in the common room," he mumbled embarrassedly. I raised my eyebrows.

"You --" I started angrily. Then I started seeing black spots again, and clutched my head so violently Draco started to look seriously worried. "Okay, seriously," I started again, breathing deeply and trying to keep my voice level, "Just do what you have to do, Malfoy. I think I'm going to pass out."

"Right." Draco looked suddenly alarmed, and approached me unsteadily. I started to shuffle forwards to try and give him some help, but it wasn't exactly working. "Err --" said Draco again, awkwardly moving his hands in an attempt to find someplace to hold me.

"Just - put one hand there --" I said shortly, getting bad-tempered with him already. I'd actually thought there was some hope for him. Apparently not. I guided his hand to the skin beneath my knee and he rested his hand there. "And then put your other hand here." Following my instruction, he placed his right hand between my shoulder blades.

His face a mixture of discomfort and embarrassment, he secured his grip and struggled to his feet, evidently surprised by how light I turned out to be. He swayed uncertainly at first and I wrapped my arms tight around his neck with fear, almost throttling him, but then set off surprisingly calmly.

God, I thought miserably. How had chatting with Ginny turned into this nightmare?

Author's Note: Hi! I can't believe the support this story is getting and I know I say it a lot but THANK YOU! Thanks to the people who have put this story on their reading lists too, to know people are reading it means a lot. Don't forget to vote and comment!