Chapter 5: Zack, Watch Your Back--To Late

Zack was just arriving at the hardware store with the ten guys he took with him, this included Tony. Now pretty much all the boys at the group home were thin--save for maybe Bob or Chuck--but Tony blew them all out of the water. He was two yards high, but only looked like he weighed a hundred pounds. Though despite this, the boy didn't look unhealthy, just really, really thin--most likely with zero muscle. He also had pure white hair.

Zack was no fashion expert, to any measure, but he was pretty sure one would say that Tony's hair clashed with his pure black hoodie and overly dark jeans. Or maybe it was a good style--It was impossible to keep up with those people. Either way though--regardless of Tony's fashion--Zack was glad he had brought the guy with.

Knowing that at least a few other kids would have had to catch onto the disappearance of the adults by now, the group quietly crept up to the hardware store's back door.

"Why are we here again?" a kid complained, as Tony monkeyed with the lock.

"Because we need weapons," another said before smacking the first, who then kindly smacked him back.

"Would you both shut up!" Tony shouted at the boys. Usually he never really said much, so whenever he did kids had a tendency of listening.

"Why?" asked another kid. What? I said they listened, I never said they cared. Zack debated if he should step in or not, but then decided against it. He wasn't their parent, nor was he technically the leader. Really he was just a guy that took charge when needed. Best to not overstep, giving himself more responsibility. That and if the guys never learned to work things out amongst themselves, Zack would never get a moment of peace.

"Because I need to focus!" With that Tony fidgeted with the picts for a few more seconds, and the door easily swung open, as if it never had been locked--releasing a loud screeching sound all the way.

"Did you hear that?" asked one of the younger boys, sounding rather frightened.

"Yeah," Zack finally said flatly--obviously not intervening didn't afford him much more peace. "It was the door opening." Perhaps he should have taken Bob and Derrick, for these kids seemed just as stupid and he couldn't even remember their names.

"No. It sounds like someone's in there."

"I hear it too," whispered another, not looking too thrilled.

"How about me and Tony go check it out while you guys keep watch?" Zack suggested. He did understand that he didn't need nine lookouts and that the only danger would be inside, he just wanted to build their confidence. Also having eleven guys storming around a store, raiding candy from checkout aisles and whatnot, wasn't really his idea of stealth.

The other boys eagerly agreed to this.

* * *

Inside, the building was pitch black, but luckily Zack had an old flashlight he had taken from the group home's junk drawer, and Tony had a smartphone most likely taken from the confiscation drawer. The duo entered through the back, but quickly got turned around, until Zack could only assume they were closer to the front.

"So why did you pick me to come in here?" Tony finally asked. Zack detected the slightest bit of fear in his voice, but he knew better than to mock the boy.

"Who would you have picked if you wanted a stealth partner?" he reasoned, occasionally shining his flashlight towards a nearby clothes rack, or checkout aisle, hoping to find a light switch--or at least not some sort of enemy lying in wait. "Although, Peter would have definitely been my second choice."