Chapter 19

I can't bring myself to leave Lucy there.

After awhile one of the wolves start to comfort me. She promise that she'll watch over Lucy so I can go home since the sun is setting, and mom probably in the kitchen waiting for me.

I get home late, not wanting to eat so I just go straight to bed. Mom gives me a worried look, but let it go. Like always. I silently thank her, even if I at the moment can't think straight.

I think sleep would relive the anxious state I'm in, but no. It refuses to show up. All I can think of is Lucy, laying there in the pond, seemingly lifeless.

What if The Tree changed its mind and took her life? That's the thought running through my mind.

Along with even more memories.

How we once found a lost bear pup. We helped her back to her mom, but not before playing around with her and making her happy.

In reality we already knew where her mother was, we just wanted to play with the little one.

That other time when me and Maxie made Lucy walk on a leash so we could take her with us to town. We spend hours walking around, before finally sitting down at a bench, eating ice cream. Lucy and Maxie shared a bowl of vanilla and strawberry ice cream, while I ate one with chocolate and raspberry. I even remember the satisfied feeling I got as they ate the bowl, how I felt satisfied with my life as that moment.

Or when my first day as a senior came around, and I got a huge crush on one of the new boys. He spelled trouble and bad boy, and a few months later he was expelled. But not before me and Lucy gossiped about him and followed him around town.

The next day in school, I most likely look like a wreak.

Inappropriate enough, it isn't raining. The sun shines as it often does this season. And this bothers me. Everything that isn't crying or depressed bothers me.

Laughing girls in the corridor, boys pranking each other, teachers smiling, I'm ready to punch them all.

It feels as if I live in the past, repeating the last hours in my head over and over again, along with memories that constantly pop up in my mind.

The numb feeling still haven't left me as I feel like a shell walking around in school, going from lesson to lesson.

Lucy isn't here. She won't be waiting in the woods when I leave school today.

And of course, when I sit on a bench outside school awaiting last period, feeling as if my world is gone like a rug being pulled away under my feet, Luke appears.

Perfect timing. Not.

He sits down beside me on the bench, not saying anything. I feel how he sits with his arms along the seat of the bench, almost touching my shoulder.

I have my knees dragged up to my chest and my head on top of them, mind elsewhere. Luke is quiet, not breaking the ice. Not yet at least.

"Hello Samantha." he greets, finally.

But he does one thing wrong when he speaks.

Luke sounds sweet and surprisingly happy.

Innocent, glad and not a trace of the fact that he witnessed his father beat up Lucy. Not even showing that he's aware of it.

My eyes begin to water just at the thought.

Her small, lifeless frame on the bed, blood sipping out of her mouth...

When he realises that I'm not answering him, he cocks his head to the side. I bet that smile of his, the one with the dimple in one cheek, is etched on his face.

"I don't know why she isn't answering, Luke." Emight says, clearly thinking about this deeply.

Something in my mind roars.

He knows his father physically hurt Lucy. What he does? Nothing. He pretends that it never happened. Being dumbfounded about it! Seemingly oblivious to Lucy's injuries.

I can't take this.

And I really can't.

And because of that, I just stand up and leave.

I try at least.

"Samantha?" Luke asks, dumbfounded.

I just walk away, not giving him a second glance. I'm not able to get far before Luke gets to action.

"Hey..." Luke mumbles carefully as he runs up to me and grabs my wrist.

"What's wrong?" he asks, his voice soft and full of emotions.

I look up at the sky, trying my best not to burst into tears. I haven't looked into his eyes yet, and I know that if I do, I will forgive him right here. But I'm smarter than that.

"Samantha?" Luke repeats. He holds my wrists in a hard grip, but lose enough to not feel intimidating.

I turn my gaze to the ground, as the cement feels way more interesting than anything walking this earth. Including my mate.

Then I say it. The words I know is the truth, at least for now.

Something in my mind yells at me to not do it, but it's defenceless against the side of me who just wants to get out if here, and know that that's the shortest way to do so.

So I stutter the words, eleven to be exact, and I feel my heart clenching as I do.

"I... I just don't know if I could do this Luke."

-------

A/N:

"And the award for the most horrible cliffhanger of the century goes too..."

Just kidding, just kidding.

*click* or nah.

But you guys managed to get chapter 18 to 10 votes. Good job! (I've counted the amount of notifications from different users who votes, that's why Wattpad might not say that there is 10 votes. Glitchy son of bookworms...)

Anyhow, hope you guys had the best of holidays, whatever you celebrated.

No vote-lock on this one, but a vote hurries up the publishing on the continuation... Just saying.

'Till next time!

//siggeisthedog