Chapter 22

Meat only feeds the body

Meat only feeds the body. The hunt feeds the soul.

Balisekt saying

Ever since the Great Blight, the balisekts had considered themselves a civilized race or at least more civilized than the Lady's chosen tribes gave them credit for. In the weeks after the war, they'd tried tirelessly to show the humans, elves, faeries, dwarves, and centaurs that they were worthy of being brought into the Lands of Order. They had their own culture, their own customs, and their own traditions. They passed on their history through stories and archives. The balisekts had laws, leaders, and even a social hierarchy.

In so many ways, they were exactly like the tribes that had always shunned them. However, there was one thing that set them apart. As civilized as they were, the balisekts always embraced their animalistic side. Banished to the wild places of the world, they'd always had to live like the beasts around them in order to survive. Their circumstance molded their way of life, shaping them into a beautiful mixture of wild and tame. They lived for the thrill of the hunt and running through the trees. Where other tribes tried to forget their primal tendencies, the balisekts embraced them. It made them formidable opponents, especially against those not aware of what they were capable of. The goblins were attempting to wage war on them now, but the early settlers of Keysakah had worked too hard to have their new home taken away from them.

It was a hot afternoon. The dense leaves above blocked a great deal of sunlight from reaching the forest floor, but it did nothing to cool it. It was muggy and humid, the kind of day where you could nearly drink the air. In the foliage beneath a cluster of trees, Heeska and two other balisekts were crouched low. He'd lost track of how long they'd been there, but their mission required patience. Goblin patrols had been spotted near the outskirts of the fledgling city. His scouts had reported back that morning. There were several troupes of the pesky creatures circling Keysakah like vultures around a dying animal.

He could have sent soldiers out to find and kill them, but that wasn't the balisekt way. Until the rule of Lord Killika, balisekts had always favored stealth and swiftness to outward displays of militant force. When a balisekt discovered it was being hunted, the response was to become the hunter. He would let them circle, let them get close to the city without resistance. He would let them think they had the advantage and that their prey was unaware. Confidence weakened caution, and the best time to strike at your enemy was when they were sure they'd already won.

It was over an hour before Heeska saw the first signs of goblin activity in the trees. They were small, stumpy creatures, and while they were difficult to spot in dense foliage, they weren't known for their silent movements. He could hear murmurs in their low, growly voices. The bushes and small shrubs around the perimeter shook as they moved, making their position easy to detect. The two hunters with him were eager to pounce. They rocked back and forth on their toes while their claws dug deep into the dirt. Heeska extended his right arm, signaling for those with him to hold their position.