Chapter 9

Enjoying the story so far? Please support the author on Patreon. patreon.com/expressivemedia

Living alone in the Wilds for weeks on end had shown Sunrise how much he'd taken for granted in his life

Living alone in the Wilds for weeks on end had shown Sunrise how much he'd taken for granted in his life. Spending time in the home of his human friend, Viyana, he discovered just how much he'd never had before even that. Where he would have been happy to get bread and water, he was given wine and cake. Where he would have felt blessed for a soft pile of straw to sleep on, he was given a warm bed covered with fine linens. Where he would have settled to bathe in the river without feeling exposed or defenseless, he was treated to a heated, relaxing bath. And, of course, where he would have been overjoyed just for the companionship of one who didn't seek to capture him, he was in the company of a dear and trusted friend.

It was late morning when Sunrise descended the stairs into the main room of Viyana's home. Now finally in a safe and comfortable place, his body was making up for sleep lost in the Wilds. He'd been here for three days now, resting and eating his way back to health. Viyana had told him how soundly he'd slept the last few nights. She'd chuckled as she admitted to putting a finger under his nose, just to make sure he was still breathing. Even though he rose this morning well after dawn, earlier days had seen him not getting up until the sun was sinking down the other side of the sky.

"Lady's grace, I've never seen a creature sleep so much," Viyana said with a warm smile. The Lady of Meadowgold was leaning against the wall, a goblet in one hand and a small loaf of bread in the other. As usual, she was dressed in rugged, light armor with her sword swinging low at her side. Her hair was pulled back, letting the light from the windows illuminate the weathered skin and small scars on her face and neck.

"I at least feel rejuvenated now," Sunrise responded. "I should sleep like a normal elf tonight."

Viyana took another bite of her bread before setting the loaf and her goblet on the table. "Help yourself to anything while I'm gone," she insisted.

"Important errands this morning?"

"Tomorrow is a big day," Viyana said proudly. "Our high priestess will be here at dawn. I need to make sure the arrangements for her welcome are going as planned."

"It does my heart good to see the human race finally accepting a high priestess," Sunrise said. "The Lady's blessings are truly upon Meadowgold."

Viyana made her way to the door, making one last check of her belongings before opening it. "I will be gone for several hours. Please keep the door closed and stay away from the windows. The people will be suspicious if they see movement in my home when they know I'm out in town."

"Wait," Sunrise insisted.

Viyana stopped pulling on the door, leaving it halfway opened. "What is it?"

Sunrise gave a small nod, a gesture intended to reassure himself that he wasn't making a foolish decision. "I want to come with you."

Viyana shut her eyes along with the door. "You know that's not wise."