Chapter 12

Enjoying the story so far? Please contribute to the author's Patreon. patreon.com/expressivemedia

When Viyana awoke the next morning, she was treated to an urgent report about the weather

When Viyana awoke the next morning, she was treated to an urgent report about the weather. The tower watch in the west had spotted a terrible storm on the horizon. By the pace of the wind, it would be over Meadowgold by early afternoon. It was disheartening news. Today was the day their high priestess would arrive, and a massive storm would either cut the festivities short or postpone them.

With time now against them, the Lady of Meadowgold prepared for the day even earlier than usual. The morning sun was resting upon the treetops on the horizon when she entered the city. There were a few people out, but the hour was still early, even for such a momentous day as this. In studying their faces, it was clear the coming storm wasn't the only darkness being cast over this joyous day.

The incident with the young man on the stage has spread fear and confusion throughout Meadowgold. Lawbreakers weren't unheard of, especially when the ale flowed so freely, but never before was magic used by a common human. Most in the city had never even seen such powers at work. Her guards had been injured in the skirmish and the attacker escaped into the Savage Lands; thank the Lady no one was killed. Viyana hadn't seen her people look this worried since the start of the Balisekt War. Expressions of joy had been replaced with clear uneasiness, and it seemed all the joy they'd been building to had been undone.

Still, the new high priestess would be here at any moment. Seeing their new spiritual leader may yet soothe their troubled hearts. She would be a reminder that they were in good hands, that the Lady was watching over them now more than ever. Besides, she knew the mood would shift just as soon as the high priestess finally arrived. She could already hear the musicians at the city center warming up. Things wouldn't stay bleak for long.

"Your people seem very frightened," Sunrise said from behind her. Still shrouded by a large cloak, he'd been following at a distance since she left her home.

"Do you blame them?" she asked. Her head didn't move as she responded, keeping the illusion that they weren't traveling together. "They all just watched my guards get defeated with magic not from the Temple. That's not supposed to be possible."

"But we already knew it was," Sunrise reminded.

Viyana nodded, but only enough for Sunrise to notice. "That's different. I know Firefly and trust her to keep her powers in check. I have no idea who that man was or what his intentions are."

"The Temple's control over magic is what keeps it contained," Sunrise said. "That's why they're looking for us in the first place."

Just a few feet behind them, Sparrow crept along the edge of a nearby roof. Her feet made no noise as she moved. Her wings were folded down flat against her back and her stance kept her as low as possible. In the aftermath of yesterday's excitement, the Rose Captain had noticed more than just a magic-wielding human. In observing the Lady of Meadowgold, her eyes were drawn to a mysterious cloaked figure standing near her. When she found her again after dawn, the same person was there.