22.

I ceased all crying, my heart freezing, breath hitched in my throat. Tears still slide silently down my cheeks, fear immediately flooding my body.

"Good to see you again, I was about to quit this job. I dunno how you do it, being around these freaks all the time." The unfamiliar guard speaks, earning a snicker from the boy.

"I dunno how I do it either. The money is appealing, and the patients.. They bring me the occasional pleasure." He chuckles, earning a hearty chuckle from the other guards.

"Good to see you back. Hope you're doing well." The sounds of shoes shuffling across the floor calms me slightly.

At least they aren't coming down here.

They continue to chatter, though it was muffled and distant. I began to feel my eyes close, tears finally coming to a halt.

Maybe they won't bother me.

I hear the front doors shut, allowing the institution to fall into a silence.

I held my breath once again, my heart pounding in my ears. I didn't want to be heard. I didn't want to be seen by them.

Suddenly, a throaty chuckle causes me to jump. I curse at myself internally, hating myself for making a sound.

"Oh.. I wonder if anyone is awake." I hear him whistle, before he slowly waltz down the corridor, footsteps echoing down the hall.

I close my eyes, halting all my movements as I hear him approach our cells. I take a deep breath, before returning my breathing to a steady rhythm.

"Ey Cooper?" I hear Ted chirp, and my heart sinks.

"What's up?" He responds, his footsteps approaching my cell, before coming to a stop. I could basically feel their eyes burn into my uncovered body.

"Tear stains look pretty fresh, hey?" Ted sneers, earning a chuckle from Cooper.

A tear crawls down my cheek that was laying on the pillow, and I feel a sob creep up on me.

Not now.

"Hm.. Shall we check?" Cooper whispers, the two chuckling in unison.

"Nah, maybe he had a nightmare. Let's continue." Ted says, then complete silence.

It was almost as if they left without a trace. There was no breathing, a small bit of shuffling before it stopped.

They had to have left.

I cursed at my curiosity. I needed to look. I needed to see if I was okay.

I opened my eyes ever so slightly, in case they were there, my eyes darting to the entrance of my cell.

The building was dark once again.

I crossed my fingers, hoping they wouldn't come back. Last time the lights went out, it was on me.

I heard a cell door unlock a ways down, causing a hefty breath to get released from my lips. Someone else, that wasn't me or Schlatt. It was far enough down that it was someone else than Amanda, and it wasn't that far that it was Joko or Madi. I felt ok.

"I know you're awake." Cooper whispers, my heart falling.

He was right there.

I choke on air, hearing the keys jingle as he undid the lock on my cell, the lock falling to the ground. My body shook with sobs.

This was it. This is how i die.

"Sit up." He demands quietly, so I do.

My eyes remain shut, but tears still slide down my face. I couldn't bare looking at him.