9.

Wilbur's POV:

My heart breaks as I watch Schlatt wait in line for his unappetizing lunch.

"Wilbur.. You need to be careful." Carson murmurs beneath his breath, his eyes floating to the guards in the corner.

I swallow heavily, trying to rid the lump caused by tears.

"I-I know.. But Schla-"

"I know Wilbur. He will explain, and when he does, I'm sure you won't have to worry, he probably was just banging around in his cell." Carson attempts to enlighten me, but I look towards him in disbelief.

"You honestly think he did this to himself?!" I shriek in a hushed tone, and he shrugs.

"I don't know man, maybe." He says, looking towards his feet. I scoff.

"You are absolutely fucking ridiculous." I spit, walking towards the guards.

"Wait!" Carson calls out behind me, but I ignore him.

I approach the guards, tapping on Cooper's shoulder, causing him to turn around.

"Oh my god Coop, what happened to your face?" I gasp, cradling his bruised cheek in my hand.

" I was just roughhousing at home, its nothing." He chuckles lightly.

"Thank god... I was wondering... Have you seen Jschlatt's face?" I ask, and he frowns, looking towards the thin boy waiting in line.

"Oh, what happened?" He gasps, and I shrug.

"I-I dunno, that's why I asked you." I stammer, and he pouts slightly.

"Sorry, I didn't see anything while he was in his cell. I'll keep an eye out." He assures me, and I feel my heart sink.

"Alright.. Thanks anyway." I mutter, beginning to walk back to the table, feeling Schlatt's eyes beat into my skull.

I reach the wall next to the table, pressing my back flat against it and rubbing my eyes with a sigh.

"M'sorry Wilbur, that was stupid of me." Carson apologizes quietly, and I wave him off.

"Its okay." I breathe, looking up and seeing Schlatt sit on the unstable bench, an angry look painted on his face.

"Why did you talk to the guard?" Schlatt grunts, beginning to eat his plain rice pudding.

"I asked him what happened to you.. He said he didn't know." I explain, and he drops his spoon.

He slowly turns his body so its square with mine, a smirk playing on his lips, the rest of his face remaining angry.

"Oh honey.. If only you knew."

//

"Let's go." A voice rasps in my ear, shaking me from my book.

I crane my neck, seeing Schlatt in his plain grey jumpsuit.

I nod, and he grips my forearm, dragging me to the back of the library.

He lets me go, his body striding towards the ledge, his body soon perched on the oaken wood. A wave of deja vu hits me.

"Come closer, I don't want to be too loud." He beckons me closer, so I make my way briskly towards him.

I stop when there was six inches between us. He grabs my hand with his damaged hand, his scabbed wrist open for me to see.

"Schlatt.. What happened to you?" I whisper, my fingers brushing over the deep cut.