Salvation

I tilted my head at Vanitas before something came back to my mind.

'Jeanne was the one to save him from his fall... Now they appear almost at the same time and there's blood on his neck...' I thought looking back and forth between the human and the vampire, finally stopping my gaze on Vanitas.

He seemed to sense it because he turned to me then he blinked multiple times before tilting his head. "Why are you making such a face Iona ?" He asked, looking curiously at me.

I blinked at his words before tilting my head. "What kind of face was I making Vanitas ?"

He stared at me for a few seconds before turning away. "Nothing. Forget it."

"...You called yourselves Charlatan, correct ? What are you ?" We heard Luca's voice as I was about to ask Vanitas for an answer.

The little boy was behind his bodyguard. "Did you cause this bedlam !?" He demanded to the misty being.

"...Fun...

This is... ...Fuuuun...♡" She answered with a big grin that appeared to be nothing but creepy or twisted.

We all looked at her with different emotions showing on our face.

"Stop it, Naenia." The voice of her companion ordered. "...We've already passed the appointed time. The Beastias will catch onto us soon."

Naenia stayed silent. "...Tch. BORING." She then started singing, whatever it was, it was the same sound from vefore that made everyone gone mad and I covered my ears, wincing at the sound too close for comfort.

Vampires came from the hole Jeanne made in the wall and charged at us. I dodged a blow from one of them.

"Noé."

The one being called turned around to see Naenia and her little group on the balcony.

"I've decided I like you. Next time we meet... ...Do give me your true name, okay ?"

After saying her farewells to Noé, Jeanne who wasn't going to let her go made a shockwave that made all the vampires fly away and as I was dodging one, I lost my footing and fell on my butt.

I looked up in time to see Jeanne and Luca jumped away from the balcony. Then a hand was in front of me. I looked up to see Vanitas.

"Need a hand ?"

I sighed before taking his hand. "Thank you..."

He helped me get on my feet and we turned around to see Dolinique telling Noé to "get it together" because curse-bearers appeared and vampires were going crazy.

"Malnomen -- Dissonance, Orchestra of Wild Beasts." The vampire doctor stated making everyone, including me, looking at him in shock. "It's a unique malnomen that manifests simultaneously when several people attacked by maladies gather in the same place. Each of them raises a cry like the howl of a beast, and their voices create dissonance, driving those around them insane." He went on to explain.

"...Can you save them, human ?" Dominique asked.

It took a beat for Vanitas to answer. "I can do something about them."

"...Fine." Lady Dominique ripped the front of her dress so her legs were exposed and took out a sword. "In that case, I'll guard you. Do it before somebody beheads those curse-bearers.
---Hurry !"

'She had this sword under her dress the whole time ? And she was able to dance ? She looks so cool right now...' I felt respect towards Lady Dominique as I heard Vanitas whistle beside me.

We went on and this was at that moment that I realized my hand was feeling empty.

'Was I holding Vanitas' hand this whole time without noticing ?' I wondered, staring at my hand.

I looked up to see Noé jumping of the balcony with Vanitas in his hold. I jumped right after them.

Vanitas saved all the vampires we saw. At one point, Dominique told us to go ahead but there was only one curse-bearer left.

We had a scream with Noé and Vanitas and followed the sound.

I gasped in horror upon seeing what was happening.

The vampire I recognized as the little girl I danced in front of moment ago was drinking the blood of her mother, the body of her sister no far from them.

"I... ...came too late for one, then." Vanitas said.

Noé and me looked at him, though I was sure I was still wearing an expression of horror on my face.

"Once bodies have been corroded this gar, I can't restore them." The doctor explained walking to the girl.

"K... Kill..
...M-Me...

Before I...
...kill my...
...sister... too !" The little girl pleaded, not wanting to hurt her sister.

I could do nothing but watch as Vanitas used his book to stop Noé from interfering then to find the little girl's true name as her body became dust.

'Naenia... I hate you for that...'

I walked up to the dust and the pile of clothes where the little girl was standing before kneeling down with my book in front me and the dust. Then I joined my hands like a prayer and closed my eyes, all the while without really paying to Noé and Vanitas' argument.

"...I don't understand... ...Vanitas..." I opened my eyes and looked at the troubled face of Noé and the unreadable one of Vanitas from the corner of it when I heard Noé's voice.

"What is... ..."salvation" ?"

"...No idea.
Just mull it over on your own." He answered passively before loking at me from over his shoulder. "And what are you doing ?"

I looked down at the dust. "Praying for a poor little girl who didn't deserve that, can't you see ?" I answered in a little voice before turning to look at him. "It is common in my clan to pray for the deaths we encountered, even if we didn't know them."

I closed my eyes a few seconds as I took my book and hugged it close to me before opening them. "We believe that the soul will be more at peace this way." I explained.

"Because you really believe that ?" His tone seemed sceptical and I just shrugged.

"Why should I not ?"

Hello, I know it's been more than a year and I apologize for that ^^"
I was busy with school, internships, I was learning how to draw and also, I didn't really feel like writing ^^"

But ! I got motivated with the announce of the anime so here is a chapter and who knows when the next one will be
Not next year I hope ^^"