Meeting Lord Ruthven

"...I don't understand... ...Vanitas..." I opened my eyes and looked at the troubled face of Noé and the unreadable one of Vanitas from the corner of it when I heard Noé's voice.

"What is... ..."salvation" ?"

"...No idea.
Just mull it over on your own." He answered passively before loking at me from over his shoulder. "And what are you doing ?"

I looked down at the dust. "Praying for a poor little girl who didn't deserve that, can't you see ?" I answered in a little voice before turning to look at him. "It is common in my clan to pray for the deaths we encountered, even if we didn't know them."

I closed my eyes a few seconds as I took my book and hugged it close to me before opening them. "We believe that the soul will be more at peace this way." I explained.

"Because you really believe that ?" His tone seemed sceptical and I just shrugged.

"Why should I not ?"

"Fooooound... ...youuuuuu ! ♡" A female voice was heard.

The three of us turned around in surprise to see the fox masked girl from earlier. She attacked us with a trail of ice we avoided by jumping out of its way.

"Aaah... The stench, the stench, the stench !! It stinks of men, stinks of humans. This could not possibly be worse !!" She complained.

"Sorry but I am a woman !" I reiterated.

"Yes but you choose to be in their company so you are just as horrible !" She kind of scolded me.

'Why do you have such a problem with men...?' I thought, a deadpanned expression on my face so I wasn't really paying attention to what the boys said about her rewriting "formulas" with ease.

"Those are incredible eyes you've got... ..."Beastia" Veronica De Sade !" Vanitas exclaimed.

'Aaah... I kinda feel bad for Dominique...'

"Mine is not a name...
...For mere humans to use casually." She seemed really mad now as she attacked us again with ice.

Noé and I managed to dodge but Vanitas had a part of his leg stuck in the ice.

"First, I'll freeze you. And then... Let's see.
Dear little Domi tried to stop me...
...so I'll shatter you to pieces right in front of her !" Her voice was cruel as she spoke with a hint of amusement in her tone.

"Wait !" I exclaimed as I went to move but I had to dodge another trail of ice and I saw from the corner of my eyes that Noé looked like he had trouble to move while the woman was laughing.

"That's enough, Veronica."

I looked up, surprised to see the fox mask split in two and falling to the ground.

"Lord Ruthven..." Veronica called the man.

I frowned at the name. 'Lord Ruthven... I didn't think I would meet someone like him...'

"One granted the name of Beastia, "Queen's Fang," should not use her power in such an unbecoming manner." He scolded the woman who was thinking of killing Vanitas.

I sighed in relief before going over to Vanitas, ignoring what the two vampires might be talking about. I was standing beside Vanitas and touched the ice, inspecting it.
I was vaguely aware of someone blaming Vanitas for the curse-bearers coming here so I glared at him for the nonsense he was saying, he flinched when he noticed it.

But my gaze immediately went to Lord Ruthven when he was standing in front of Vanitas, his body half covered in ice.

"You heard him. Is it true ?" The vampire asked. "...Was it you who returned those individuals to ashes ?"