Mark of possession

"Ah... No... I mean..." Noé fumbled with his words as he gave the book back to her owner. "That book is important to you, right ?" He said as an explanation.

Cyndelle took the book back and pressed it to her chest, humming once again. "Yeah... Something like that you could say..." She trailed off before going back to her place against the wall as Vanitas sat back once again with a sigh.

"And of course I planned on staying with the two of you." She told them, still smiling.

The next day, the three of them tried to have a talk with Lord Ruthven.

"Uncles's already gone out for the day." Luca informed them, making Noé shocked. "That said..." The little boy began to fidget around. "...Um ! Noé ? Cyndelle ?
If you don't mind... Would you come into town with us ?" He asked the two other vampires.

~~~

So now, all of us are seated inside some kind of café with a plate of tarte tatin. Noé seemed to really appreciate the dessert.

"My teacher often bought tarte tatin in the human world and brought it back as a present. To think the day would come when I'd get to eat it in Altus Paris...!" Noé said with such a childish excitement that I couldn't help but smile.

"I'm told another vampire who liked this tarte brought the recipe in from the other world." Luca explained with a smile.

'The atmosphere over there is so radiant...'

"I don't know whether this is enough to count as thanks, but..." The youngest vampire began. "...Noé, Cyndelle. Really, thank you for what you did last night. You saved my life...
...And the lives of many other vampires who were there."

I put down my fork and waved my hands around nervously. "There's no need to thank me !" I exclaimed before smiling at the boy. "I'm just glad you're not hurt." I said, unconsciously speaking over Noé maybe.

I turned to Vanitas when I heard him mutter beside me about the dessert that he seemed to find too sweet.

"Let me thank you as well...
...Noé, Cyndelle." I looked up at Jeanne, startled to hear her call my name. "You protected Master Luca in my absence. Thank you very much."

I swallowed as I clasped my hands on my laps, looking down. "Like... Like I said, you don't need to thank me..." I muttered, not looking at her.

"Maybe... but I need to apologize to you." I looked up at her, eyes wide with shock and confusion.

"Why ?"

"About the way I treated you the first time we met. I apologize for hurting you when you did nothing wrong. And you even tried to help Master Luca." She said, smiling at me sheepishly.

I blinked at her words before looking away, feeling my cheeks redden. "It's fine, I understand Luca is important to you..." I mumbled.

"Well then, if you even need my help for anything, don't hesitate to ask me !" She beamed at me, her smile being more happy. "Especially with a certain nuisance being too close to you." She added, glaring at Vanitas openly without even trying to hide it.

"Hm ! D'accord !" I agreed, looking up at her with admiration and slight confusion since she was referring to Vanitas. 'I got some sort of big sister energy from her now... Is this what Luca experience daily ?'

"Why calling me a nuisance towards Iona now..." The man beside me muttered with his fork in his mouth, looking at my side without really looking at me.

I smiled sheepishly at him and shrugged my shoulders, catching his attention and he shrugged back in a nonchalant way.

"No..." Noé started to say but gor temporally distracted by Vanitas giving him his plate. "No, no." He repeated. "You have it wrong ! We weren't the ones who put an end to the confusion. That was Vanitas's power !"