Charlatan

"Master Lucius !!" Someone called out to him so we turned around to see his two servants from before.

"Thanks goodness. You're not...
...hurt...?" He finished his sentence as he was slashed in the neck then fell to the ground.

Someone wearing a cape and a mask with multiple eyes was standing in front of us.

"Huh...?" Luca stared at him in fear.

The mysterious guy went to attack the young boy but Noé was there to block him while I hid Luca behind me.

"What... ...are you ?" He wondered as he began fighting.

"Noé !" Luca yelled out to him, worried.

"Stay back, please !" I told him with Noé at the same time, putting my arm in front of him.

While Noé blocked the first guy attack, another one with a bird mask went to slash him but the tanned man dodged before breaking the blade making his ennemy surprised as I stared in awe at my friend throwing the bird at the first ennemy. But he unfortunately dodged before going back at attacking Noé.

It went on a little before Noé managed to put some distance between us and the man. A part of one horn he had on his head fell off and for Noé, he got a cut on his cheek but apart from that he was fine, making me mentally sigh in relief.

"...I'll ask again. What... are you ?"

We both stared at him waiting for an answer but he wasn't the one to give us one. Instead, another voice was heard.

"Char...

...Latan."

A misty figure appeared behind the horned person and laughed. "Our name... ...is Charlatan... ♡ "

'Charlatan... So that's what changed Amelia's true name...' I thought, remembering the question Vanitas directly asked the girl, staring at the misty figure in front of me.

Noé suddenly stepped forward with such strenght that he broke the floor, startling the boy and me as we turned our heads to him in shock.

"...Noé ?" The young boy called out to him while I stared worriedly.

"... You...

YOU !!" Noé screamed, lunging himself to attack it.

"Wait, Noé !!" I called out to him with wide eyes.

The man stood still in front of the creature, preparing to defend against Noé.

"Out of the way !" He yelled, kicking him at the side and sendig him flying into the wall.

I kept staring, wondering what was wrong with him and he went to grab the mist like figure.

"Oh... I thought so." It spoke, changing form as Noé's hand went throught it. "I...

...know you.

I've seen you before, through someone's eyes. What was the child's name ? ...Oh yes..." A solidfeminine face appeared and her hands grabbed Noé's face. ""Louis.""

I had a bad feeling so I turned to Luca and crouched down to his height. "Listen to me, don't move from here, okay ?"

The boy nodded as he stared at me with wide eyes.

I immediately turned towards Noé who was kneeling on the ground as Luca screamed his name.

"He was your friend, and you loved him, and you couldn't save him. You must be sad... I bet it hurts...

... Should I take you to see him ? Louis, I mean. If I do, you won't be lonely anymore. So... Listen, In exchange...

Your true name... Would you give it to me...?" She asked, Noé's face in her hands.

"I...

..." Noé only said, staring at he with a troubled face.

I grinted my teeth as my hands were covered by a blue halo while I went them seeing her face getting closer to Noé like she was about to kiss him.

I slashed my hand through her and the mist dissipated. "How about you cut that crap !" I yelled in anger.

But as I did that, I noticed another hand next to mine and turned my head to see Vanitas.

"What are you doing, Noé ? Did you sprain you leg dancing ?" He teased.

Noé mumbled his name while I glared at the human. "Now isn't really the time to make jokes, don't you think ?"

He went in front of Noé while giving me a little smile. "Sorry Iona." Then he turned to the figure whose face went back to mist, the feminine features no longer there.

'Yeah right... You don't look sorry at all...' I though, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Ah ha.

...So you lot are "Charlatan", hm ?" Vanitas said with his book in hand.

"You...

...are..." The mist said as the other guy grunted.

As soon as I realized he was fine I hurried back to Luca's side which seemed to be a good idea as the ennemy targeted him.

But just when I arrived in front of the boy, the wall next to us get destroyed and I was shielding him from getting hit by fragments of the wall as everyone turned around to look what wad going on.

Then Jeanne was in front of us with her gauntlet, looking rather menacing. "Stay away... From Master Luca !!" She warned as I stared at her with wide eyes and mouth agape.

'Scary... And to think that we had to fight her...' I thought, remembering our first... encounter.

"Jeanne !!" The little boy exclaimed in joy before turning to me. "Thanks for protecting me Miss Cyndelle !" He thanked me with a bright smile.

'I would like to say "You're welcome." but I don't really think I've protected you from something...'
I only nodded my head at him as an answer since I didn't want to be rude to him.

"Vanitas..." I heard Noé calles out to him so I turned my head in their direction. "...There's blood on your neck. Are you hurt ?" The tanned man wondered.

Vanitas pulled his collar to see that there was blood on it before putting his hand up to hide it with a grin as I was coming closer to see.

"I'm not telling."

Noé looked as puzzled as me by his answer.

I tilted my head at Vanitas before something came back to my mind.

'Jeanne was the one to save him from his fall... Now they appear almost at the same time and there's blood on his neck...' I thought looking back and forth between the human and the vampire, finally stopping my gaze on Vanitas.

He seemed to sense it because he turned to me then he blinked multiple times before tilting his head. "Why are you making such a face Iona ?" He asked, looking curiously at me.