Chapter One Hundred & Thirty-Two | Fourth World

Start from the beginning

Zephyr let his hand drop and he rested it on the railing beside them. "Where I intend to take you is no simple place where you will miss the company of man. It is somewhere all your desires will be fulfilled. With everything you could ever want."

"With the expectation that I will abandon those who have protected me so far? To leave them when I know I can be beneficial to them?"

With a flicker of impatience, "You and I both know you are not meant for this world. You are completely without ties, my sweet. That means that your presence is not under the same restrictions as all those around you. You could vanish and there would be no traces. Your being here is something willed by another, but it only extends so far. There would be no repercussions if you chose instead to leave your current mortal life and join me."

"That's the knowledge you gained," Finch blurted and found himself wanting to retreat. It should have been the opposite, he should have plagued the man with questions. But there was something off about the whole situation. As if it had become derailed with the absence of his moderator. Now, the deity who was supposed to be a part of his test had somewhat grasped free-will.

"I don't think this test as you call it, is as restrictive as you believe it to be." Zephyr said calmly. Seeing Finch's bewildered expression, the god sighed and went on to explain. "I believed I knew all there was, before I dipped into your mind and from there opened the door to see what was blinding me. I am still processing, still absorbing everything unfamiliar to me. I only returned because I sensed your removal of my offering and feared you were injured."

"Then what do you know?" Finch was anxious to ask.

Zephyr shook his head lightly, "It's not the right time yet, my love. After I know everything, then I will answer your questions. But what I can tell you is that I know you are being made to suffer time and time again. I know you have greeted death on three occasions. And I know that I can prevent it from happening again. I can take you somewhere where you will be untouchable." The deity spoke with confidence and with an element of excitement.

He smiled as he fixed his hands on Finch's shoulders.

"Back to the cryptic answers; something which led us here in the first place." He stepped back and removed the deity's hands. "No matter how uncertain my future may be, I won't stray from my path. I can't say for sure that this whole thing isn't just part of the test, but I have no intention of not completing my task. If you have seen me greet death, then you will have seen me go while doing so contently. I'll make it that way again, when the time comes. But I can't go the easy route you have offered to me. Nor do I want to become anything other than what I am now, as I'm clinging onto the hope that after all this testing, it will amount to the something in mind."

Zephyr clearly wanted to argue. Finch stopped him, "But there is something you have said which is a consolation. You are now a spectator, and you won't interfere with the decisions that are made henceforth. You have played your tricks to further sour their hearts and now you await its conclusion. But even so, I'll ask you not to do anymore. No matter the outcome it's unlikely everyone will end on friendly terms, so it doesn't matter what happens in the eyes of a god. But I can't accept that, and as a human I will do my best to try and stop there being a bloodbath. If you do intend to bring them further harm, then you will also have to go back on your word and hurt me. As I am just another flawed mortal."

"My love, if you just come with me and give me some time then I can potentially find out the source of this entire test of yours and put an end to it." Zephyr sounded exasperated.

Finch decided to stop looking at the man. Instead he focused on the view which remained breathtaking even in the midst of darkness. Stars twinkled brightly and the moon stood proudly. Even though Zephyr controlled such sights, the serene view helped solidify Finch's next words.