Chapter 24

I haven't seen any of the Hutcherson boys in about four days. The atmosphere has become calmer and definitely quieter. I took the time away from them as a vacation from my vacation. I occasionally hangout with Sam, but other than that, I've been relaxing. I try to let Josh cross my mind as little as possible. I figured if I wasn't worth his time, he shouldn't be for mine. I'm not angry or upset. I'm trying to forget him as a whole. I don't understand how things could go so downhill in a matter of days.

Foster has actually made attempts to get me to come over, but every time, I've refused. It's not that I don't want to spend time with him, I just can't be around anywhere Josh might be. And Foster should know that, but he continues and is constantly persistent. I like to think he feels bad about the whole situation and is making attempts to amend everything. His effort is great, but there's no way I plan on forgiving Josh anytime soon. But I appreciate his offer of being a friend to me. Today my vacation from the Hutchersons ends as I prepare to go to work. Foster and Connor are supposed to come in as well. It shouldn't be a big deal seeing them today, but everything feels different. So distant. It's only been four days and it's as if I haven't seen them in months. Guess things really dull when the Hutchersons aren't around.

"Jen, are you ready for work?" My mother snaps my trance. I look up from my phone and see she's ready to go, with her hair pulled back and her navy blue polo.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I stand from my desk chair. I grab my bag from the floor and pull it over my head on to my shoulder. I adjust my white shorts as I stand and walk towards my mother in the doorway.

"We don't have to stay open too long, maybe just until late afternoon." She says as we walk towards the stairs.

"Okay," I nod behind her.

"You can invite Sam to hangout with you guys, I don't think it'll be very busy today. I haven't gotten a chance to reach him."

"I'll text him." I sigh as we reach the bottom of the stairs. We walk to the garage and into the car. It's only a short drive until we reach the store. The sky is a deep blue without a cloud in it. The air is warm and it only makes me wish I was laying in my pool. As we come into town, I take out my phone to text Sam.

"My mom wants to know if you're coming in today."

"I can, if you want. What time should I be there?" He responds almost immediately.

"Like ten minutes? We're opening soon." Just as I hit send, we pull up in front of my mom's shoppe. I put my phone in my bag and step out of the car.

"If you could start reorganizing the shelves in the back, that'd be great." My mother says as we both step onto the sidewalk.

"Okay. Sam should be coming in today." I say as she unlocks the front doors.

"Great, the more the merrier." She smiles to me. I enter the cozy shoppe and baby blue and white walls welcome me. I open the blinds in the front windows, letting the natural light engulf the room. The store really does resemble the feeling of being on the coast.

I leave my bag behind the front counter and walk to the back of the store to unpack boxes. I look to the clock mounted on the far wall and it reads it 8:10. We open in twenty minutes and Foster and Connor aren't even here yet. I begin taking out different items and placing them on the shelf. Removing the excess cardboard boxes really cleaned out the isles. Minutes later, at 8:25, Foster and Connor come walking in the doors.

"You guys are late. We open in five minutes." I say walking towards the front counter.

"Foster couldn't find his car keys." Connor says removing his windbreaker.