Chapter 6

I look at him completely dumbfounded. I don't speak any words. Mostly because I don't even know what to say.

"I-I don't feel that way about Josh," I stammer. I feel my face become flushed with red.

"It's cool, it's not like I'm going to tell anyone," He shrugs.

"Not that I'm admitting anything, but what makes you think I-"

"Because you two look at each other the same way me and my girlfriend used to look at each other," He interrupts.

He takes in a deep breath and sighs.

"You just can't miss things like that," He speaks squinting to me.

"Dayne told me you had to break up with her before the move. I'm sorry," I frown.

"It doesn't matter, we were bound to break up after graduation anyways," He speaks like it meant nothing, but his facial expressions say otherwise.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. I'm fine," He says giving me a reassuring smile that resembles each of his brothers'. We sit in silence and stare at our feet that move in circles under the water.

"It was nice talking to you Connor," I flash him a small smile. I pick up my legs from the water and stand up.

"Yeah," He nods. "I won't tell anyone about Josh," He laughs. I glare at him before smiling. Will flags me over to join him, Dayne, and Vanessa on the chairs.

"We were just talking about you," Vanessa smiles.

"Really," I say slightly confused. "What about?"

"We were just wondering what you and Connor were talking about. He usually doesn't talk much," Will nods, scooting over, and making room for me on his chair. I take small steps to the seat and sit next to him across from Dayne and Vanessa.

"I just asked him how he's liking North Carolina and stuff," I shrug avoiding the conversation I had with him about Josh.

"He hasn't really said much to anyone since we got here," Dayne says looking over to Connor who's still sitting by the pool. We converse for a few more minutes. Foster and Josh finally get the speakers to work after constant fighting.

"Alright, who wants to pick a song?" Josh says holding up his phone.

"I do!" Vanessa is the first to volunteer. She jumps up from her seat and scurries over to him. He hands her the phone and she begins to scroll through the music.

"Will," Michelle calls for him from the kitchen. "Come get the lemonade please!"

"Why can't Josh do it," He hollers back.

"William!" She yells. Vanessa and Dayne join in laughter.

"I'll help you," I say standing up and walking towards the sliding door. I hear his feet patter behind me on the deck. I enter the house and walk to the kitchen to see Michelle with seven glasses and a pitcher of lemonade.

"I can help carry these out," I say walking to the island and grabbing a few of the cups.

"Thank you so much Jen. I have to run to the store quickly. You and Dayne are in charge," She says to Will who stands behind me.

"Got it," He moves beside to me, leaning himself with his arms against the table.

"Have fun! Well, not too much fun," She says walking towards the front to the garage. We hear the garage door opening and Will grabs the pitcher. I stack the cups inside each other to carry them out easily.