Chapter 10

I quickly turn away from Josh and sit back towards the edge of the bed.
"Oh wow, it actually cleared up pretty good." I say trying to come back to reality.

"Wow. That was fast," Josh laughs.

I quickly get up and pull my cardigan sleeves tighter around me. My whole body feels as if it's vibrating and I can't stop myself from pacing out of nervousness around Sam's room. The excess energy from Josh's kiss invigorated me and now I can do anything but sit still.

"Do you need some water? I can go downstairs and get you some," Sam says walking towards the door.

No," I say almost too quickly. "I can get it."

"Jen, it's fine. Just stay up here with-"

"No, I got it. Thanks," I smile quickly moving past him to the door.

"Stop being weird," Sam says stepping in front of me. "Just go sit in the desk chair," he smiles and walks out the door.

Before I can protest, he's already making his way down the small staircase, leaving me and Josh alone once again.

I turn around slowly to face Josh. He's sitting up with his hands resting behind him like they had been before. My face feels hot and I dart my eyes to the floor as I walk to the desk chair.

"Um, did something happen?" Josh laughs, not understanding my tacit context.

"Yeah, I just kissed you," I say sitting down on the chair and accepting the reality of what just happened.

"Indeed, you did," he smiles, scooting to the edge of the bed. I back up on the chair as he comes to the edge of the bed.

"Are you okay?" he asks with a bit of concern in his voice.

"No, I just kissed you!" I repeat, letting my head hang and putting my hands in my hair. I rest my elbows on my knees as I replay the past events over in my head.

"And what's so bad about that?" he asks without his usual sarcastic tone.

"I don't know. Don't you feel guilty about it?" I ask looking up to him. His mouth is slightly parting and he's leaning in with concern.

"Um, I don't know. Do you?" he asks giving me a small nod.

"Well, yeah," I speak honestly. Is he really that selfish to not even think about Vanessa right now?

"Why?" he asks, this time more intently than his last question.

"I just- I don't know, I guess I just surprised myself," I say, still not understanding the thoughts circling in my head.

"Well, I don't regret it," he bluntly speaks. "I'm actually sort of glad it happened," he smiles, giving himself am imaginary pat on the back.

"Try telling that to Vanessa," I remind him.

"What? It's not like she's gonna find out," he speaks nonchalantly.

I open my mouth to speak, but I understand that he's right. He has no intention of telling her and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news either.

"I guess," I agree.

"So there's no need to regret it," he says pulling on the chair arm rest and spinning me towards him. He pulls me towards him and smiles up to me, but I grimace.

"What?" he asks in confusion.

"I'm not gonna kiss you again," I laugh.

"Why not?" he asks with both of his hands on either side of the armrests beside me.