Chapter 23

For the first time, I don't feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. I should feel some sort of resentment in my stomach, but I have nothing but excitement and joy. Tonight's dinner feels as if it never happened. Josh doesn't give any signals of slowing down. He's not abrasive, but I can tell he's not just looking for a small kiss. I feel his lips curve into a smile. Both of us are in complete bliss. Why have we been wasting our time with the wrong people? If things were going to lead up to here, why bother about Will and Vanessa? It doesn't add up. My thoughts are interrupted when Josh's phone begins to ring in his back pocket. I let a laugh escape my mouth as he looks down to his phone.

"I have to go," He speaks.

"Back to the restaurant?" I don't find it surprising that he's needed back. Will probably isn't done yelling at him.

"Um, yeah." His words are dry. I tried mentally preparing myself for his departure, but I end up dreading the moment anyway. "I'll see you tomorrow." Before he gives me a chance to answer, he pecks my nose.

"Thank you." If I have to say one thing to him tonight, it's just that. I'm glad at least one person bothered to take me home after Will and Vanessa's exit.

"I'll see you." I feel his breath on my lips before he pulls away, leaving me surrounded by the cold air.

Josh was the only person who was on my mind that night. The touch of his lips left their imprint on mine. It's a feeling I never want to let go of. I only had a few short hours of sleep due to my excitement.

••••

The morning is still and slow when I awake. The sun isn't shining through the clouds, making the room cold and stiff. "Jen, are you up?" My mother calls from outside my door.

"Yeah," I reply slowly sitting up in my bed, "I just woke up."

"Your father and I are going out to breakfast." She says as she walks through my bedroom door. I look over to the digital clock to my left and see 8:30 A.M. on the screen.

"Are you going with the Claflins?" I say with a slight groan in my voice.

"We're meeting them uptown," She nods to me.

"Have fun. I'm going back to bed." I say laying back down on my side and pulling the blankets over my shoulder.

"Sam might stop by later to check up on you."

"Still going back to bed." I lay still in my bed, trying to fall back asleep. Eventually I do, but I'm awakened about forty minutes later. However, it's not a silent awakening, it's more of a hectic one. As I awake, I hear seagulls flying above the house and out to the beach.

A knock on my bedroom door surprises me, but my nerves subside when I see who enters. Sam walks in hesitantly, slowly making his entrance. I roll over in my bed and pull the blankets over my head.

"What do you want." I grumble into my pillow.

"Nice to see you too." I hear him laugh.

"How'd you even get in?" I groan once again, and peek at him.

"Your back door was unlocked as always. I brought you some cookies."

"Thank you." I finally sit up, but see Sam isn't alone. Foster stands in the doorway with his arms crossed, but he doesn't show any signs of speaking up. "Hi Foster." I greet him. He gives me a wink just as Sam sits next to me on the mattress.

"Your hair is a mess." He gives me a cheeky smile, and I rolls my eyes. He hands me a twist-tied bag of cookies, and undo the bag. "Sooo what have you been up to today?" He asks.