Chapter 3

I arrive at the dollar store in town and quickly find the party supply section.

There's a whole section all on its own for graduation supplies.

I grab napkins, plates, table covers, fake diplomas, and other various items that what would look good with the theme. As I scan the shelves for a some plastic spoons, I receive an incoming call from my mother.

"Hello?" I answer as I continue to search the shelves.

"Hey hon, do mind picking up the cake from the bakery on your way home?" She asks.

"Why couldn't you have gotten it yesterday?" I groan. I find the cheapest box of plastic spoons and place it in my basket.

"Jennifer, you are hosting this party too. Take some responsibility and help us out here," She speaks into the phone.

"Okay, I'm on it," I say and hang up.

I grab a box of plastic forks and make my way to the front of the store.

After paying for everything, I head back out to my car. I turn the radio up and head to the small bakery downtown. A few minutes later, I arrive at the bakery and park my car in front. I walk in and the sweet smell of warm pies and other goods fill my nose. I walk to the counter to talk to the small lady standing behind it.

"Hi Mrs. Ferris, I'm here to pick up a cake," I smile down to the small woman.

"Hi Jennifer, good to see you," She says smiling and standing up from her stool.

"You too," I reply. She moves past the back door to the kitchen. A few minutes later she returns with a big cake that spells "Congratulations" across the top of it.

"Thanks. How much do I owe?" I ask taking my wallet out from my purse.

"Total, it's thirty dollars," she smiles.

"Thirty? I thought the cakes here only cost twenty," I question her.

"They do. But you ordered a large, which is an extra three. And we added custom content which is an additional seven dollars," She says and I hear the ring of the bell that sits on top of the door from behind me.

"But I only brought twenty-dollars with me. Can't you just make an exception for me, I mean, you know my parents," I try to bargain, but she shakes her head.

"Sorry dear. Come back when you have the right amount," She says picking the box back up.

"I can pay the rest," I hear a voice say from behind me. I turn around to find Foster smiling and holding up a ten dollar bill.

"That's very kind of you, young man," says Mrs. Ferris. He gives her the ten and I hand her my twenty.

"Are you following me?" I ask him as I pick the cake up from the counter.

"Actually, my mom sent me over here to buy you a pie for you graduation," He smiles. "Do you need help carrying that?" He asks taking his hands out of his hoodie.

"Actually you can just open the car door for me," I say as he follows me out of the bakery. He follows me to my car and opens the passenger door for me. I set the cake on the seat and close the door.

"Thanks," I say to him. "So you drove here?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I just took my brothers car," He says pointing the sleek black car sitting a space away from mine.

"Your brother drives a 1967 Impala?" I ask admiring the car.

"Yeah, Will bought it for a real low price too. Still runs perfectly," He nods.