Chapter 33

I wake the next morning with Josh's chest pinned against my back. I panic for a moment, not remembering the final traces of last night. The light coming through the windows is unforgiving and refuses to stop shining through the thin curtains. I kick the blankets from my body, unable to grip the reality I am in. I'm in Kentucky. Sam and Foster are in the room across the hall. Josh is in mine. Josh is mine. I let out a sigh of relief and nuzzle back into his chest after I calm myself. Everything is fine. With Josh here, nothing can go wrong. I just need to relax. Take in this moment before it's gone. After all, it is our last day in Kentucky.

I take in one more deep breath. Gosh, I can't wait to be back in North Carolina. I need the ocean and the sand and the warm sun around me. It's only been a few days, but it feels like I've been longing for the beach for months. I don't know how I'll survive away at university.

I stare up to the ceiling, trying to relax and not worry about anything else for the moment. I just need a glass of water, that's all. I prop myself on my elbows to sit up, but not before Josh wraps one of his arms around my body.
"What, you're getting out of bed without saying good morning?" He says in a husky voice. He pulls me into him, his warm brown eyes illuminated with the natural light coming in through the window behind him.

Instead of answering, I lay a hand on his cheek and kiss him. His breath pulls in short, and I can tell he's caught off guard. He smiles into the kiss and leans in as well, but not before I can pull away. "How's that for a good morning?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"You- that was- well good morning to you too," he smirks, letting me slip away from him off the bed. "Did you sleep well?" He sits up and stretches his arms above him.

"Yeah, I did actually. I really just can't wait to go home." I sigh as I pull my hair into a bun. "I can't imagine how awkward it's going to be seeing Lachlan this morning." I fold my arms. Oh god, just thinking about her makes me nervous.

"She probably doesn't even remember half of what happened last night. Don't let it bother you." Josh says wrapping himself in the blanket.

"Well obviously it's going to bother me. I almost got in a fight with her, I don't think it's something she'll get over so easily," I shake my head.

"It'll be fine, you worry too much," Josh shrugs. "Don't lie, you wanted to kick her ass, didn't you?" Josh smirks. I roll my eyes and laugh at his remark. Lachlan gets under my skin, but I'd never wish any physical pain upon her.

"I'm going to kick your ass if you don't  get out of bed soon," I say tugging at the comforter he's wrapped himself in.

"No way, I'm falling back asleep," Josh faces away from me. "You could get back in here with me if you wanted." He wiggles under the blanket, teasing me back towards him.

"Josh, come on, I don't want to go downstairs by myself," I say sitting on the edge of the bed. After pawing at the blanket a few more times, he finally sits up.

"Fine. We better wake up Sam and Foster too," he tugs the blankets away from him, "but only if I get another kiss," He smiles before pursing his lips to me.

"Then I guess you'll be in bed all day," I shrug and leave the bed and make my way towards the door.

"Are you freaking kidding me," Josh laughs and pulls himself out of bed. I laugh and swing open the door to hopefully get a lead from him, but he catches me, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing the back of my neck. "That's- not- funny." He laughs, kissing me in between his words.

"Come on, let's go wake up your brother and Sam," I finally kiss him back. He releases me, allowing me to move my hand to Sam and Foster's doorknob. I push it open, but only to find the curtains open and the two of them already awake. The beds are made, the room is completely clean, and there's no sign of a single plastic cup. Sam stands over his bed, packing the rest of his belongings.