She shook her head. "You really are a piece of work, Colby... My piece of work." Her eyes shifted to the school grounds. "You should get going."

I groaned. "I don't think I'll like it here."

"That's why it's called high school." Her smile widened.

"You really are my father's wife."

She smacked my shoulder. "Get out of my car before I push you out."

I narrowed my eyes at her, unlocked the door, and stepped out.

Shutting the door behind me, I took a deep breath with my eyes closed, inhaling the slightly strange air outside the mini world that the four walls of my room made.

When I opened my eyes back up, nervousness crept up my skin in the form of goosebumps.

I blinked, adjusting my glasses.

Quickly, I turned back, bending so I could talk to my Mom. All I wanted to do was jump right back inside the car and go back home. "Come pick me up early, or I'll walk home," I said in a rush.

She smiled sweetly at me. "It'll be fine, Colby." Her voice was reassuring.

"I'm kind of scared, Mom."

She smiled. "I could just come right out and give you a hug if you want."

"No. That would be the talk of the school. I've seen high school-"

"Colby, breathe."

I took in a deep breath and let it out again.

"Please just come pick me up early."

"I will, or your Dad will. Enjoy your first day. I love you."

"Ditto," I muttered, about to rise to my full height before she stopped me.

"Normal people say it back with the actual words, you know."

I grinned, feeling a bit relieved. "Well, thank God we both know I'm far from normal."

She squinted her eyes. "You really are my husband's son."

I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped me. "Bye, father's wife," I said quickly, straightening up and walking ahead before she could think of stopping me and doing something that would be the talk of the whole school.

But then I heard her shout out the window. "Bye, honey! Have a nice day; respect your teachers! I love you!" Her voice caught almost everyone's attention.

She did that on purpose, didn't she?

I turned, raising my hands in a gesture that screamed, 'Why do you do these things? You're old!'

In turn, she replied with a smooth smirk before rolling up the window and driving off.

I shook my head, turning towards the school.

I reached into my pocket, pulling out my earplugs.

I placed them on, not listening to any music... I didn't want anyone to think I was listening to the immature rumors they whispered as I walked by.

Or maybe I just thought pretending to listen to music would stop my whole body from shaking with nervousness.

DANY

I walked up to the third notice board, pinning two flyers there. Stepping back, I inspected the yellow flyer on the board.

Janice really did an excellent job with these flyers.