fifty-six

"So, when are you moving back in?" Kakashi posed.

"Hey, don't be moving too fast, now." Eri joked. "How am I supposed to live with someone who practically becomes an animal whenever he touches me?" She hummed bemusedly, waiting to see his response. They both knew there was no question that she'd move back into his home, which really had been their shared home over the last few years.

Strong arms snaked around her waist from behind, squeezing the thicker, plush skin at her hips as the man dropped his head on her shoulder. "You like the animal in me." He muttered against her skin. His hands slid lower down her leg, threatening her inner thigh. "You like it a lot."

She bit her lower lip and drew in a deep breath in anticipation. Then, regaining her sanity, she spun around and planted a short kiss on his lips before stepping back. "Kakashi, as much as I simply adore you - animal and all - we can't just stay in bed all day."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Excuses." He scoffed, though not entirely serious.

"You're just lazy," she said, then added, "and horny."

"What am I supposed to do when the woman I love is so damn hot?"

"Oh, it's so hard for you." She rolled her dark eyes, but couldn't keep a small, flattered grin from creeping on her lips.

As exciting and relieving as it was for Eri and Kakashi finally confessing their feelings for each other and becoming so much more than friends or roommates, their interaction was relatively comfortable; to an extent, it could even be considered 'normal.' It certainly felt more perfect and right than before.

"Actually, the Festival is tonight." Suddenly reassuming relative seriousness, the man reminded both himself and the girl.

"Oh, right." She froze. "I completely forgot."

"Glad I have that effect on you." He hummed and raised a questionable brow.

"Pervert." She huffed, then returned to the matter at hand. "What is this Festival for again?"

"It's one of those things that every clan and family tells their kids is for something different, so over the generations it's just become 'the Festival.' It's actually a pretty big deal and only happens once every four years."

Without thinking or considering what she was actually saying, she blurted out the words: "We should tell our kids that the Festival is for the anniversary of when we first kissed." As soon as she finished the sentence, she realized what she had said and her cheeks became furiously red.

"Now who's moving too fast?" The silver-haired man teased, not passing up the opportunity.

"I mean, hypothetically." She quickly tried to correct herself.

"Eri, nothing would make me happier than to have a family with you." He placed a reassuring kiss on her forehead. His words made her heart flutter and she felt significantly less embarrassed. But then he continued, catching his mistake, "Except making the family."

"Pervert!" She threw a pillow at him, earning a deep chuckle. As she pouted, she pulled herself together. "I need to get a yukata for this Festival."

"Go get one." He gave her a wad of cash that he just happened to have on him from one of his recent missions. "I'll pick you up at seven."

Kakashi then quickly left, leaving her alone and a little shocked. Nonetheless, a few minutes later she went to the central town to find a yukata to wear. She felt slightly disappointed that she didn't have one yet, but at least that would change soon.

As soon as she approached the shop, she ran into Sakura, and when she realized they were going to the same place, the pinkette laughed. "You waited until last minute to pick up a yukata, too?"

"Unfortunately." Eri rolled her eyes. "Maybe you can help me."

The younger girl beamed. "I got you." She always enjoyed helping others, especially those who wouldn't think to ask for her help, and some part of her looked up to Eri. "Are you excited for the Festival?" She asked. "This is your first, right?"

"In Konoha, yes. Kakashi's talked pretty highly of it."

"Are you going with him?"

"Yeah. It's not like he has other friends." The mauve-haired woman teased.

"He has friends. Just not like you." Sakura clarified.

Eri debated with herself for a moment, before deciding that, of all the people in the Leaf Village, she was someone who deserved to know. "Well, Kakashi and I aren't really 'friends.'"

"What do you mean? He adores you."

"Um, yeah." Part of her realized that Kakashi thought of the young pinkette as a daughter or younger sister. There was only so much she could or should say to the girl.

Yet, noticing her awkwardness and strange response, Sakura narrowed her green eyes and raised a suspicious brow. "Wait..." she trailed, placing a hand on the woman's shoulder.

Eri looked at her with wide eyes, furrowed eyebrows, and bit her lip.

The teen gasped, placing a hand over her mouth in surprise.