11 ~ Making the team?

The following week was soccer tryouts. After school on Monday, I was planning on conditioning with all of the other girls that would be trying out as well.

"Don't forget I have conditioning after school today, so I won't need a ride home," I reminded Gavin as I exited his car and hustled towards the school. Hailey was already waiting for me by the cafeteria doors as I walked in.

"About time!" Hailey hollered as she ran over to me and embraced me in one of her hugs. "How was your weekend? Sorry I didn't get to see you this weekend, my family went to Chicago for my cousin's wedding."

"It was okay," I said, briefly telling her about Friday night's events.

"I would have loved to go to your house party!" Hailey exclaimed as we approached Jessa who was in the cafeteria waiting for us at our regular table.

"Who's having a house party?" Jessa questioned as we sat down.

"No one, my brothers had one at our house on Friday night."

"Why wasn't I invited?" Jessa said as she gave me a pouty face.

"Sorry, I didn't even know that one was going on until Spencer dropped me off back at home Friday night."

Conditioning after school ended up being pure hell

Conditioning after school ended up being pure hell. I mainly kept to myself and put all my focus on whatever we were supposed to be doing at the time. The coach was pushing us to our limits today. At the end of conditioning, I was going to ask Hailey for a ride home, but Jessa and she decided to skip out a bit early. I was already tired and sore, but I didn't want to call anyone for a last-minute ride and inconvenience them so I decided I was going to have to just suck it up and make the trek home by foot. I popped in my earbuds and turned the volume up loud, drowning out all the other noises around me to some of my favorite music as I walked by myself back home.

It took me about half an hour to get back home. As I passed Hailey's house I took note that her car was missing from the driveway, but Jessa's was there instead. They must have taken Hailey's car and went out somewhere together. "So nice to invite me," I mumbled to myself. Now not only was I tired and sore, but was also feeling bitter and left out. I walked down our driveway towards our house, going inside through the garage. There was no one hanging around in the general living areas of the house, and I was in no mood to be around anyone at that very moment, so I made my way up to my bedroom to take a shower and start on some of my homework before dinnertime.

The rest of the week's tryouts and conditioning seemed to go a little better. Jessa, Hailey, and I each gave our best, and they didn't skip out early like they had on Monday.  The coach informed us that the last day of tryouts was going to be on Thursday, and teams would be posted on Friday after school. There would be a JV team and a Varsity team but for us freshmen and sophomores not to expect to be playing on Varsity this year. That statement bummed out and discouraged a lot of the other girls, but I could care less. I was only trying out because Hailey asked me to, and because it would give me something else to do in my free time.