7 ~ Lockdown

The walk to Richard's office was like walking through a gauntlet. I had sobered up enough that I was actually scared of what he may have to say to me. His office door was closed when I approached it, so I knocked quietly on it and waited, hoping that maybe he wouldn't hear me and I could retreat quietly.

"Come in," Richard responded from the other side.

I entered quietly and slowly and made my way to the empty couch that was near his desk, sitting down at the far end and the very edge of it. He didn't acknowledge me at first and continued working on whatever he was doing on his computer. It was intimidating waiting there in silence, wondering what he would say to me. It was certainly making me feel uneasy, and I was starting to feel the after-effects of all the alcohol that I had consumed that night. After a few minutes of waiting, Richard stood up and walked around his desk towards where I was sitting. He casually leaned back against his desk, crossing his ankles and crossing his arms over his chest. This gesture made me feel small against his large stature, and even slightly intimidated.

"A week. You've been here a week, Kelsey. I can not be around twenty-four seven watching your ass and making sure you stay out of trouble. I tried calling and texting you, but you failed to respond to me. My rules are meant to be followed, not ignored. This is strike number two, Kelsey! As of right now, you are grounded. I want your phone, and your laptop. There will be no socializing outside of school. You're to come home promptly, and only with your brothers. After dinnertime, you will be cleaning up the dinner table, and doing the dishes by hand. Andrea and Kara won't be helping at all. You will also be in your room with lights out at nine, not a minute later."

I sat there with my mouth agape for some time before I looked back up at Richard. My mother had never really punished me, so I knew that I was not going to like this one bit. "For how long?" I meekly asked.

"Until I say," was all he answered with. "Now go and get me your phone and laptop."

I stood up and quickly made my way past him. Reaching the door, I turned back around, "Beckett already took my phone from me."

"Well go get your laptop and give that to him as well. He can hang onto both of those for now."

"This is so dumb!" I shouted as I slammed his office door shut behind me.

I booked it out of there before he could say anything else, and made my way to my own bedroom, locking my door behind me. I didn't bother grabbing my laptop to give to Beckett, instead I went straight into my bathroom, stripping down and hopping into my shower. I was going to avoid giving him my only form of the outside world, and hope that maybe they would just forget about it entirely.

I awoke early on Saturday morning, and snuck out of the house for a quick run

I awoke early on Saturday morning, and snuck out of the house for a quick run. I used to run almost every morning back in California, and this would be the first time I have since being in Michigan. It was a bit brisk, but the fresh air filled my lungs and made me feel so alive. I took my run around the neighborhood, admiring all of the other houses, whilst making my way towards where Hailey lived. I rounded the corner hoping to see her car in the driveway, but it was not there, so I continued right on past. She must have slept over at Ricky's house, which was probably a good thing considering how wasted she was when I left.