2 ~ Endings

After Harper left, I went back into my mother's room and sat and talked with her to try to spend a little more time with her before she was gone forever. She drifted in and out of sleep, I could tell she was extremely weak by this point. She kept telling me over and over how proud she was of me, and how much she loved me. I tried to keep her comfortable, and do normal things with her, trying not to think about the impeding future and what it would entail. We took selfies on my phone, I brushed out what little hair she had left, and I even painted her nails in a cheery rose color. When she was resting I would play games on my phone and look through social media at everyone else's so-called perfect lives. I was afraid to fall asleep, thinking that if I just stayed awake and by her side that she might continue to fight and wouldn't leave me after all. I knew it was only wishful thinking.

Nine o'clock rolled around, and that's when I heard the commotion coming from the front entrance area of our home. I stayed by my mom's bedside, knowing that the nurse would take care of these strangers that were in my house. I was not wanting to greet these people I didn't even know. I could hear them settling in and roaming around mine and mom's personal space, and it was not boding well for me. No one came into the bedroom right away thankfully, but I could hear their voices coming from our kitchen quietly about God knows what. After some time had passed, an older, tall, handsome man, knocked on mom's open bedroom door and slowly entered, with mom's nurse tailing behind.

 After some time had passed, an older, tall, handsome man, knocked on mom's open bedroom door and slowly entered, with mom's nurse tailing behind

"Kelsey?" he questioned as he gracefully approached mom and I. Mom at the moment was asleep.

I never bothered looking up at him, and I didn't answer him. I continued to ignore him as I scrolled through my social media feed.

The man cautiously approached me and took my phone directly out of my hand. "Kelsey?" he said again, this time a little more firmly.

I was now irritated, and upset that he dared to just take my phone away from me when he didn't even know me, nor I him. I didn't even look at him as I abruptly stood up from my seat and swiftly brushed past him and then past the nurse through the open door. As I made my way down the hallway to my own bedroom I glanced out into our living room and noted the four very attractive younger men that had infiltrated my home. I didn't even acknowledge them as they clearly were giving me the stare down. I entered my bedroom and slammed the door shut behind me, opening it, and slamming it again for good measure.

I laid down on my stomach on my bed and cried into my pillow. I didn't know how I was supposed to accept these certain changes in my life that were to come. I didn't want my mom to leave me and felt like I was being dealt one awful hand of cards.

Against my better judgment and wishes I must have fallen asleep, as the next thing I knew I was being softly shaken awake by a strong hand. "Kelsey, dear?" the man from earlier questioned. "I think you need to go to your mother, she's not doing too well. She's not going to make it much longer."

I quickly sat up and shoved past him as I made my way out of my bedroom and down to my mom's. The nurse and hospice nurse were busy checking vitals and looking at readouts from the machines attached to Mom. Mom's personal nurse looked over to me, "she needs you now Kelsey," she said with sympathetic eyes. "There's nothing more that we can do for her other than be here for her and make her comfortable."