Chapter 21: Heathcliff's death

In the afternoon, he was away, but then suddenly came back. Cathy and Hareton were sitting in the main hall at the time, and both of them raised their heads to look at him, silently wondering what he would say. The eyes of the two are the same as cast, and are the eyes of Catherine Earnshaw. surely the resemblance confused him, because he kept walking around the room, excited. Cathy and Hareton tried to find a way to leave quietly, but Mr. Heathcliff signaled me to stay.

- This has to be an end to everything I've set up, isn't it? - he said. - I try to find ways to destroy two families, and all that I have worked hard to finish is about to end. Now it's time for me to get revenge for myself! And yet, there was something in me that made me no longer interested in destroying them. It was like something was going on inside me.

- What do you mean "transformation" means? - I ask.

- I do not know. - He replied. - I am only half aware of this at present.

- Do you feel uncomfortable?

- No, Ellen, no.

- Are you afraid of death?

- Scared? I am not afraid nor expecting to die. Why am I? I believe that I will live a long time. However, I could not continue to endure this life any more! I have to remind myself to remember that I have to breathe. God again! What a persistent battle! I pray that it will end soon!

For several days, he did not eat with us. One day, when everyone had gone to bed, I could hear him coming out of the house and still not seeing him in the morning. only after long did he return, his face was pale, his body was shaking, but his eyes glowed with a strange joyful expression. he refused to eat and, finally, I mustered the courage to ask: why did he behave so oddly, and where did he go last night?

"You ask that out of curiosity," he laughed, "but I'll tell you, too." Last night I was at the threshold of hell. And today, I have seen my heaven in sight.

That night he was at home. The next morning, he instructed Joseph about farm jobs. When Joseph had left, he rested his arms on the table and turned his eyes sparklingly, restlessly, looking at the wall in front of him, so absorbed and so attentive that he could sometimes seem to stop breathing.

- Mr. Heathcliff! boss! - I cried. - Don't stare as if you see a ghost appear!

- Don't shout so loud, Ellen. - He replied. - You try to look around to see if it's just me and you here?

- Of course. - I replied. - Of course only you and me.

After a while, he left the house and returned after midnight. he walked back and forth in the room, while calling out "Catherine!" the voice is very miserable In the morning when I was busy setting fire to his orders, I heard him sigh in succession, and he told me to send someone to call Mr. Green, the lawyer, because he needed to make a testimony.

- Don't worry about making a will, Mr. Heathcliff. - I say. - he will live long and have enough time to repent of his many unjust deeds. Now he just needs to eat and rest.

- I can't eat and sleep is not my fault. - He replied. - Still repentant about unrighteous deeds? I have never caused anything unfair, and I have nothing to regret. I was so happy, but that was not enough.

- Happiness, sir - I exclaimed. - If you are happy, I feel strange! I can give you an advice to make him more happy!

- What advice? - he asked.

- You know, ever since you were thirteen, you've lived a selfish life. don't you see how hard it will be for you to go to heaven, if you didn't change your way of life before you died?

"I told you so," Heathcliff said, "I am almost at my heaven." I don't take other people's heaven as valuable and I don't crave it.

When he heard the sounds of the people in the house rising up, he went upstairs, not to his room, but to Catherine Earnshaw's room before. That's the room you were led to sleep the other night, Mr. Lockwood. It was raining that day, and the whole night was still in vain. In the morning, as I was walking around the house as usual, I noticed Mr. Heathcliff's bedroom window wide open and rain pouring straight inside. He must no longer be in bed, I thought, because if he lay there he would have been all wet. I used the spare key to open the door. Then I dragged the boards around the large bed to the side, I looked in.

Mr. Heathcliff was lying on his back in bed. I caught the sharp and fierce look in his eyes that he took a step back. At this time, he was smiling. his face and neck were covered with rain, the sheets were soaking wet; but he remained completely motionless. The window was smashed open by the wind, slitting open his hand on the sill, but there was no blood dripping from the wound; He died hard!

I closed the window, tossed his long, black hair, now over his forehead, behind the back of my neck, and tried to stroke his eyes to cover his glare, as if he were still alive. . His eyes refused to close. His lips were open and his sharp, white teeth seemed to be sneering.

In a panic, I called out to Joseph.

- Finally, the devil dragged his neck! - He exclaimed. - He looks so cruel when he grinned at death!

He knelt in thanks to the Lord, and Howling Hill has returned to its rightful owner from now on. it was Hareton, who had tasted all the tricks of Heathcliff, who had endured hundreds of thousands of bitterness throughout his youth. He sat by Heathcliff's body all night, sobbing and tearing up his tears in tears. . he pressed his hands to his fiercely fierce face, then placed a kiss on the face that no one else dared to look at right now.

We buried him next to Catherine's grave according to his wishes. but it seemed that he was not resting in the tomb, because according to the people in the area, he still struggled in the wild fields, in the graveyard, and even in this house. Even I did not dare to go out at night, nor did I dare to be alone in this gloomy house. I'm glad to hear that Hareton and Cathy will get married early next year and move back to the hamlet.

And Joseph remained here, sleeping in the kitchen. The rest of the building will be closed with latches for those ghosts to take refuge, if they like it.

This time, Ellen Dean really ended the story. I said goodbye to her, leaving before the young friends returned. I walked to the graveyard and found there were three tombstones next to each other: Edgar's, Catherine's, and Heathcliff's newly built one. I stood still in the stillness of the sky, listening to the rustling wind in the grass. Being able to rest in such a place, all three of them must also peacefully sleep in the grave.

- End -