Chapter 20: Hareton and Cathy made friends

I was ordered to come to Hill camp two weeks after you left Ap, Mr. Lockwood.I was happy to obey because I wanted to help Cathy, but I was very sad and shocked to see her, because she had changed so much since coming there. Mr. Heathcliff explained to me that he was fed up with Cathy's presence. I had to keep her with me, so that he only had to see herduring meals only.She was very happy with this arrangement. I secretly brought the book from Ap to her, and at first everything went well.

However, Cathy soon became restless. One of the reasons was that she was forbidden to go out of the garden, but when spring came, she desperately wanted to hang out in the wilderness. Besides, I couldn't be with her always, because I had to do housework, so Cathy complained she was lonely. she left the living room to go to the kitchen to meet Joseph: she would rather argue with him than be left alone. Hareton had to go to the kitchen whenever Mr. Heathcliff wanted to monopolize the hall.

At first, whenever she saw Hareton come in, Cathy left. But gradually, she changed her attitude, turning to tease him, refusing to leave him alone. she spoke ill of him, commenting on his stupidity and laziness, when he saw every night he sat by the fireplace, doing nothing but glancing at the fire, then dozing off.

- I know why Hareton never opened his mouth to say a word in the kitchen. - She said - He was afraid of being ridiculed by me. You know what he did once? He started to learn to read by himself, but when he saw me laughing, he burned the book away. He's an idiot, isn't he?

- You are horrible! - I commented.

"Maybe that's right," she continued - but I didn't expect him to be so silly. hareton, if I give you a book now, would you take it? I have to try it.

She put the book he just read into his hand but he threw it away, muttering that if she didn't shut up right away, he would break his neck.

- Then I'll leave it on the table, then go to sleep. - She said.

The next morning, she was disappointed to hear me say that he didn't touch the book, I saw that due to his persistent sulky attitude, she regretted and felt that she had scared him to death. learn to read more. Her sharp mind is thinking of ways to cure the injuries she has just caused.

An accident occurred: a gun was pulled, causing Hareton to be injured and had to take a break from working on the farm. Right now, because Heathcliff seemed like he liked to sit alone, no one was bothered, the boy had to sit in the kitchen with us often. In those days, Cathy often read to me while I was working, and she often stopped at a fascinating passage, then put the book down somewhere. but Hareton was still stubborn as he did not touch the book.

One afternoon, Cathy had found enough ways to make him pay attention to her, but still nothing. So I heard her speak directly to him:

- Hareton, I now understand that I am glad that you are my cousin, and I would love to make friends with you, if you are not that irritable and grumpy.

He did not respond.

- Hareton! Hareton, are you listening? - She continued.

- Get out! - You grumbled - I have nothing to do with you as well as the teasing of her

"You should be friends with your cousin because now she regrets her awful attitude," I said. "She'll be your good friend."

- Are you? - He cried - When she hated me?

- Now I am not the one who hates you; You hate me. - She sobbed. - He hates me as Mr. Heathcliff, even more so.

- She lied - Hareton said - So for what reason I hundreds of times on your side, making him mad! Still, she still despised and mocked me.