Chapter 3: Heathcliff was taken to Howling Hill

I lived from small to large throughout Howling Hill before I went to live in Thrushcross Hamlet. My mother was the adopted breast for Mr. Hindley Earnshaw, and his father Hareton Earnshaw. I grew up with two Earnshaw children, Hindley and Catherinè

a beautiful summer morning, at the beginning of the hay harvest, Earnshaw from upstairs downstairs, neat clothes for a radiation trip. things to do on the farm for the next few days, then turned to Hindley, Catherine and me, thenis eating breakfast.- Hey, my dear son, I'll go to Liverpool. What do you want me to bring home for you? You can choose whatever you like, but only a small one, for you will have to walk until after ten miles.

Hindley chose a violin. Catherine was only six at the time, but was able to ride any horse in a stable without fear, so she asked for a whip. Then Earnshaw turned to ask me, promising to bring me a bag full of apples and peaches. Specifically kissed the children and then left.

the day everyone was planning to come back, the children begged to stay up. It wasn't until eleven o'clock at night when the door opened and the old man came in, groaning and laughing, and saying he would never walk like that again. He opened the robe rolled into a hug in the wings

- Look, grandma. she had to accept this as a gift from God, though it was as dark as if it had come out of a devil.

We all gathered around Earnshaw and saw it was a dirty, dirty, black-haired baby. he looked about the age of Catherine, but only stuttered for a few incomprehensible sounds, but he kept repeating. Mrs. Earnshaw must have been ready to kick the boy out of the house immediately.

- Must raise your children not enough suffering, but why also bring them back? - She asked. - What are you going to do with it?

Earnshaw, who was nearly tired of dying, tried to explain. He found this child on the streets of Liverpool, starving, homeless and almost dumb. No one knew it, so he decided not to leave it there, but took it to Howling Hill to take care of it.

- Wash her, Ellen. - Earnshaw said, - and gave him clean clothes. It can sleep with children.

After they had examined the boy, Hindley and Catherine searched the pockets of their coats for gifts. Hindley, then fourteen, locked up when he saw his violin was crushed on his return trip. catherine, knowing that her father had lost her whip while caring for the strange baby, showed her personality with a grin and spat at the newly brought boy.

The kids didn't share the room with the boy, so he had to be on the same stairs. I hope he can flee that night, but the next morning Earnshaw has found it lying there. So we were all blamed for kicking it out. The boy was named Heathcliff and from then on, that name was both a holy name and a surname. Within a few days, she and Catherine had become best friends, but Hindley hated it. Heathcliff was a stubborn, patient child, used to being mistreated, and although Hindley beat him a lot, he didn't cry. Earnshaw was angry when he saw Hindley beat "poor orphan", as he often called him. He believed everything Heathcliff said and loved it, so from the very beginning, Heathcliff caused aversion in the house, because Mr. Hindley felt that the newcomer had lost all his father's love.

gradually, Earnshaw's health began to decline. He often got angry for no reason, and every time he thought that everyone was against his adopted son, but in fact, everyone in the house let the boy want what he wanted so as not to disturb the old man. . but this did not bring him any good, because his arrogance and fierceness were more and more extreme. Hindley now went to school away from home, and Catherine stayed home with her father and Heathcliff. she could not understand that the bad health of the old man made him angry, and he enjoyed it when he was teased. In fact, she was happier than when the whole family scolded her, and she challenged us with rude words and cheeky looks.

One October night, Earnshaw sat on a stool by the fireplace. Outside, a cold breeze sounded wild and wild, but it was still warm inside the hall. I sat down, Joseph reading the Bible, Catherine rested her head on his father's pillow while Heathcliff lay on the floor, leaning his head against the old man's caressing Catherin's hair.

- Catherine, if only you were as good as you are now, how much you know. - Specifically asked. She lifted her face to look at him and laughed.

- Father, is it always better if you are as good as you are now?

Then, when she realized that she was angry, she kissed her hand and said that she would sing to lull her to sleep. She sang softly until his hand left her and his head fell to his chest. Now, I told her to be quiet and not move so she wouldn't wake up. We were all silent for half an hour, but then Joseph said that he had to wake the old man up to pray and go to sleep. He stepped forward, touched his shoulder, but the old man did not move. The servant brought the candle to see him better, and I knew something was wrong because he put the candle down, took the children 's arm and said, "Go upstairs and don't make any noise because you're still there." things to do ".

- But first I have to wish him good night. Catherine said as she wrapped her arms around her neck before we could stop her. So she screamed:

- Oh! Father is dead! Heathcliff! Father is dead!

Both children burst into tears. I also cried until Joseph stopped.

"Don't cry loudly," he said. - She put on her cloak, then left for the village of Gimmerton to call the doctor and the priest.

I rained away, and when I returned I saw Heathcliff and Catherine upstairs and comforting each other there ...

How much of our life has changed!

Hindley went home to take the funeral and we were astonished to see him bringing in a wife, Frances. Immediately after the funeral was over, he let everyone know he was back to stay at home and now he is the boss. Joseph and I were ordered to live in the kitchen behind the house, leaving the hall for the family. frances said she loved Catherine very much, but soon became bored with her. It was a glimpse that Frances disliked Heathcliff and this awakened Mr. Hindley of all his old hatred for the boy. he didn't let him continue studying, sent him out to live with servants, and forced him to work outside the camp.

At first, Heathcliff didn't pay much attention to this, because Catherine still worked with or played with him in the field, and taught him what she had learned during class. hindley doesn't care what they do, as long as they stay away don't bother you.

One rainy Sunday night, both children were kicked out to the back kitchen for making noise, but when I went to call them home for dinner, I couldn't find them anywhere. We scoured the house, from upstairs to down.

At this point, Mr. Hindley got angry again:

- Tie the door, Joseph, - he shouted. - Do not allow them to enter the house this night

Everyone goes to sleep. I went to my room and opened the window. Despite the heavy rain, I still stuck my head out, because I insisted on letting them in, if they returned, no matter what Hindley said. I heard footsteps on the street, and saw a lighted lantern near the gate, so I threw my shawl over my head, and ran downstairs to stop them from getting Mr. Earnshaw to wake up.

Heathcliff stood there but alone.

- Where is Catherine? - I cried out in panic. - Did something happen?

- She's in Thrushcross, - he says curtly. And I should have stayed, too, but they didn't politely invite me to stay.

"You will be dragged out loud," I said. - What the hell is causing your uncle wandering to Thrushcross hamlet?

- Let me take off these wet clothes. Heathcliff said as he pushed me aside and entered the room. - Then I will tell you the beginning of the story.