Chapter 16: Encounters on the moor

When Linton received the news, he wrote back saying that because Cathy's father forbade her to visit the Hill, his father also forbade him to go to Ap. According to a set schedule, Mr. Linton would take Cathy to the wilderness in the summer to meet her cousin, but unfortunately, he was never healthy enough to leave the house. Eventually, he agreed to let me take her away, and she and Linton could talk together under my tutelage. The first meeting was arranged near the end of the summer, Cathy and I rode our horses to the meeting place.

A little boy stood and welcomed us there.

- The owner is staying a little further away - The boy told us - and he wants the girls to please come a little bit more to him.

- So he forgot his uncle's first instruction - I said - Mr. Linton said we were only in the hamlet territory, but now we are going beyond that territory.

We rode our horses forward until we were only a quarter of a mile from Hill Hill. Here, we see Linton waiting in a heather pile. When we were so close to where he lay, he got up, but he took a step so weak that I had to cry:

- Well, this morning you're not strong enough to go for a walk! You look so weak and tired!

cathy looked at him, both sad and surprised.

- Do you feel more tired than usual? - She asked worriedly.

- No, better, I feel better. - He gasped as he spoke, trembling on her hands to stop falling.

"But you must have had a sick illness," Cathy continued, "because you look much weaker than your last meeting." You slim up a lot, and ...

- I'm tired - He hurriedly interrupted - It's so hot, I can't go for a walk. Let's rest here. Dad said I wasn't feeling well because I grew up so fast.

cathy didn't believe the explanation above, but she sat down beside him.

- Do you remember when we talked about Heaven? - She asked - He said that he liked to be lying on the sandstone beach looking at the blue sky. Today, this place is almost like your heaven. Next week, you have to ride down to the hamlet and I will show you what heaven is in my opinion.

Linton didn't seem to remember what she just said and he could hardly keep up any conversation. he showed no interest in the topics she suggested, so she could hardly hide her disappointment. Ever since we met you last few months ago, you have changed a lot. Instead of revealing the temper of a spoiled child, he acts like a disabled person now, only thinking about his feelings.

- I think if you were at home, you would feel better than sitting here, rolling on the ground like this. - A moment later she spoke.

- Please Cathy stay here. - He begged. - Please tell me I'm quite well and let me thank you for letting you come here. And, if you happen to meet my father, please don't let him think that I was silent or stupid. You will be mad at me.

- We have to break up now. - She said as she stood up to walk. - I am very disappointed in our meeting today, but I promise you I will not tell anyone, although I am not afraid of Mr. Heathcliff.

- Shh! - Linton whispered. - Shh! he's coming over there! - He clung to Cathy's arm, trying to hold her back.

She pulled away and jumped on horseback.

- I'll come here next Thursday. - She cried. - Goodbye!

however, Linton was focusing his mind on his father, who was now so close, that he barely noticed us leaving.

A slow week passed, and Mr. Edgar Linton seemed to be getting weaker and weaker, and now Cathy realized that her father no longer lived. on the fifth day, the day she made the appointment to ride to Linton, she didn't tell him this, but I did remind him, because I thought it would be good for Mr. Linton to breathe fresh air. agreed that letting her meet his cousin would be a relief for him to console himself ifShe loved Linton, she would not feel so lonely after his death.Mr. Linton's real career! He did not know how sick the young man was!