Chapter 18: Cathy was taken back to Howling Hill

After that, Cathy told me about her escape from the Hill camp. She heard the voices of the people from Ap asking to find her and was very disappointed to hear Heathcliff dismiss them. in the end, despite suffering, she managed to persuade Linton to save Nhan while his father was away, he went to get the key and open the door. That night, when the four sides were quiet, she snuck out of the house and ran back to Ap.

the night after the funeral, Cathy and I sat in the library, wondering what was going to happen. Cathy hoped that she would be allowed to stay in Ap. Luckily, Linton could live with her and I could be their housekeeper. The thought made us both happy, but we were halfway through when a servant came in.

- That scoundrel Heathcliff is coming! - He said - I fastened the door to not let him in okay?

Not keep up anymore. heathcliff did not bother to knock. This house belonged to his son, so he considered himself the owner. he went straight to the library and closed the door. Cathy stood up as if ready to run.

- Stop! - he said, holding her arm - Stop trying to run away! I came to take her home. I hope that she will be a daughter-in-law who fulfills her duties and no longer incites my son to go against my will. I had to punish it severely because it helped her escape. hareton told me that so that at night he woke up and screamed for hours, calling her to protect him from abuse. Now she had to take care of it. I gave it to you

- Why not let Cathy stay here? - I plead. - Take your son here with her. because he hated both, he would never miss them.

"I'm going to get this tenant," he said, "and I want my children to live around me, you can be sure of that." This girl will be grateful to me because I will raise her. I won't let him sit idly by after Linton dies. - He turned to Cathy. - Hurry, get ready

"I will go," Cathy said. "Linton is the only person I can love in the world, and he can never make us hate each other." I dare you to offend him in my presence and I dare you to scare me.

"You are very snobbish," replied Heathcliff. "I don't like you so much that I have to insult it?" She will be tasted to the full smell of suffering. I'm not going to make it obnoxious to her, but to his soul.

- I know he has a bad nature, Cathy told him - because he is his son. I'm willing to forgive him, because I know he loves me, and that's why I love him.

She looked straight at him and continued:

- Mr. Heathcliff, no one loves you. No matter how much he made us miserable, we still felt revenge when we thought that he was so cruel because he was much more miserable than us. You are miserable, right? And lonely too! Nobody loved him! No one will mourn him when he dies!

Cathy ended these words almost triumphantly. She was behaving like those at the Hill camp, finding joy in the sufferings of her enemies.

- You will have to regret for yourself if you still stand there for another minute. - Her father-in-law said - Go get your stuff now!

She lifted her head high and walked out of the room. I pleaded with Heathcliff for me to take Zillah's place in the Hill camp, let her come to Ap this place for me, but he told me to shut up. he peered at the paintings on the wall, then pointed to a portrait of Catherine and Linton and said:

- Please arrange to send the other portrait to the Hill camp.

- I was ready to go. - Cathy came in and announced - Ellen, please tell them to saddle your dwarf horse.

"You don't have to bring your dwarf horse," Heathcliff said. "At Wuthering Heights, you'll never need a horse." Later, whenever she went, she just walked. Let's go!