Prologue

10 years ago... Eastern Realm Castle.

"Boys..." Mrs. Walter said as she glared at the three boys who sat at their desks in front of her. These three are supposed to be the next rulers of this pack, this realm. Yet, all this tall, severe woman saw was three bored little boys who wanted to go outside and play with the other young ones.

She shook her head. It wasn't that she was disappointed in the boys. She was a little sad for them. Although their parents changed much about how this castle was run after King Deklynn was forced out, they still opted for private tutors.

Sean wiggled in his seat, "Mrs. Walter..." He whined, "But why do we have to learn about the old King anyway? Isn't he dead by now?"

Ryan rolled his eyes as Eli snickered.

Mrs. Walter sighed, "Sean, the old King is not dead."

Sean raised his eyebrows, "What?! I thought that's why were all safe now!"

"Sean. No need to shout." Mrs. Walters said firmly. Sean flinched at the tone of her voice.

Mrs. Walter rubbed her temples, "Would either of you care to explain to Sean, what was in the reading assignment from yesterday?"

Ryan eagerly raised his hand. He was the oldest of the two and spent more time studying than he did playing with the other kids.

Mrs. Walter looked to the eager boy with a small smile, "Yes Ryan?"

Ryan hoped up, as he flipped through the pages of his notebook, "King Deklynn was stripped of his title and his connection to the pack. He became rogue at that point, fleeing to the southern realm." He had a big smile plastered to his face before he looked over at Sean and smirked.

"Smarty Pants..." Sean loudly whispered under his breath.

"Sean Mclane!" Mrs. Walter shouts.

"Sorry Ryan..." Sean begins to apologize, "...that you're such a brown noser!" Sean erupted in laughter as Ryan lunged at Sean knocking him over. Eli was laughing too, one hand on his stomach another pointing at Sean.

"Ryan is going to kick your butt Sean!" Eli shouted over Ryan's growls and Sean's laughter.

"BOYS!" Mrs. Walter yelled again. This time it echoed through the room. The boys silenced themselves immediately.

Mrs. Walter cleared her throat, "Ryan, please explain to these two why King Deklynn was forced to go rogue."

Ryan grabbed his notebook. He sent another glare to Sean before he started up again, "King Deklynn was trying to keep males within our pack away from their mates."

"Yes, and why?" Mrs. Walter nods her head signaling Ryan to continue.

"To purify our pack." Ryan added as he scrunched his nose in confusion.

Mrs. Walter hummed in acknowledgment. "Why?" She looked to the boys as she waited for an answer.

Eli raised his hand, "It was supposed to make us stronger."

"How was that supposed to make us stronger?" Sean looked at Eli and back to Mrs. Walter.

Mrs. Walter paced a moment, "Well, it would keep our bloodline pure, correct?"

The boys all nodded.

Sean narrowed his eyes at his blank notebook deep in thought for a moment, "But our creator gives us our mates because our mates make us stronger..."

Mrs. Walter fought the smile playing at the corner of her lips. "That's very true Sean."

Ryan sat up, "So we're stronger with our mates? Even without a pure bloodline?..." Ryan flipped through the pages in his notebook, "But I thought you said a pure bloodline would make the strongest wolves..."

Eli answered before Mrs. Walter could even open her mouth, "Well yeah, but, we should never go against our creator. At least I don't think so." He shrugged as he turned towards the window, slightly bored from the current discussion.

Sean added, "Yeah. Who wants the gods angry at them anyway. That would suck so bad!"

Mrs. Walter sighed as she looked to Ryan, "A pure bloodline equals stronger were-genes. More likely, this will result in a powerful wolf form. It also gives you a greater chance of having a Female who can carry pups."

Mrs. Walter continued on. She was rambling about the Hemberg family and how the civil war all began in what is now our pack dining hall. Ryan was diligently taking notes, while Sean was desperately trying to sit still.

Eli was gazing out the window as the other kids were being called back into the school house.

Eli desperately wanted to be outside, playing with all the other kids. His father had told him the story of his grandfather, the Old King Deklynn and the short lived Eastern Realm Civil war numerous times. It was drilled in his head every night how important it was to live as our creator intended, with the mates that our creator chose for us.

One day he would find his mate and she would be forever by his side. She would make him better than he ever could be and he would protect her with everything he had. He would be King, and she, is Queen. Everything would be perfect.

 Everything would be perfect