<30>

Jess:

Jess:

Jennikah, Skyler and Rosette were instructed to enter the ballroom from the entrance down below, but I had to wait outside these giant double doors. Nervous, excited, scared out of my mind. I fiddled with the end of my skirt while Marcus stood off to the side staring straight ahead.

"Hey Marcus?" I move to stand in front of him.

"Yes, Ms. Jessica? I everything okay?" He looks at me concerned.

I smiled at him. "Yes, of course, I just wanted to ask about your 18th birthday and your mate."

He smiled warmly at me. "He is not 18 yet, Ms. Jessica."

I hummed in response. "Will you have to wait long?"

He shrugged. "Another 18 days, Ms. Jessica."

I perked up at the response. "That's so exciting Marcus!" I went to give him a hug but stopped myself. Stepping back in front of the door, waiting, as instructed, for Marcus to open them for me.

Tonight is not the night to get myself or others in trouble for my love for hugs.

"Ember?" I reached out with my mind again.

I've tried calling for him all day. I know it's totally wrong, I'm sure Eli was busy, but I missed them both all day.

No gifts could replace his warm lips against mine.

Okay, maybe some gifts. I played with the necklace around my neck. Smiling wide.

I finally heard the music turn down, I could hear them announcing something before Marcus nodded at me. "You ready Ms. Jessica?"

I shook my head excitedly as he opened the doors wide revealing a glorious staircase. I put on a smile and took a few steps forward to the top of the staircase.

The crowd erupted in cheers, hooting, screams. I couldn't believe all the people who were here.

I tried to wave confidently at everyone, even though the butterflies in my stomach we're buzzing like crazy inside me.

With each step I glanced around the room. It seemed the older generation took to the balconies that lined the entire ballroom. I saw my mom and dad, smiling big at me. Next to them, I saw King Christopher who winked at me, and Queen Madeline who looked like she might have been crying.

I scanned the massive space. There were bar height tables that lined the walls of the ballroom. Draped in a shimmery silver cloth. There was a buffet table on either side of the room with servers. As well as a giant chocolate fountain in one corner.

DO NOT skip over that fountain.

I made it to the bottom of the stairs expecting to fly into Eli's arms, instead I was met by Skyler and Rosette. They gave me a big hug as I tried not to frown in disappointment.