Chapter 24: Shirtless and Mouthwatering

Start from the beginning

“Shit, Cj that hurts.”

“It’s the last stitch before I start on your back,” He replied rubbing alcohol on a cut that didn’t seem very deep.

“You did that on purpose you fucker,” Hunter jeered baring his teeth like an animal at Cj, but he didn’t take it to heart.

“Okay you can’t be a doctor if you’re going to torture your patients.” I laughed. It was about thirty minutes before he was finished and I was left to thrown away the mess. I had to re-clean the floor and Hunter went to change.

“Well I don’t have to go commando anymore,” He winked at me causing me to hurry out the door to go talk to my neighbor, the old woman was definitely becoming an annoyance because she needed to mind her own business.

***

The buzz that Hunter had was definitely faded about the time that our friend got there. I had to bribe the old lady with promising that I’d bring her candy to last her week, so that she wouldn't tell my Uncle.

The rest of our friends were out in the living room Hunter and I were warming up the leftover pizza and some popcorn. Well more like I was doing the work and he was leaning again the kitchen island watching me.

“I found you passed out in front of my yard,” I finally answered his question from earlier. My hair was in a bun on the top of my head and Hunter’s hair was wet and disheveled from his second shower, he had a white t-shirt on and my dad’s gray jogging pants on.

“Hmm, interesting,” he shrugged continuing to stare at me with his predatory eyes.

"Hunter what’d you do?" He and I both knew this question was broader than just his location last night. I was talking about why he got sent to jail. I wanted to know, and he wasn’t letting on about anything.

“Would you believe me if I said I killed someone?” He paused, I paused, and the whole world paused. Did I still like him? Hell yeah. Could I be around a murderer? Hell no.

Then he burst out laughing “You should’ve seen the look on your face. I could never kill someone. You really think I could?” He limped over to me and put his arms on the sides of my body. I was leaning against the sink.

“Well me, no."I shook my head, "Someone else, yes." then I nodded. "I’ve seen you beat a guy into the hospital, Hunter.” I told him, not making eye contact I looked through the window that looked outside to my backyard.

A garden (Garter) snake slithered next to a small fluffy rabbit, it didn’t harm it just was near it. The rabbit ate on a nut or whatever it had and the snake just crawled into a hole. Hunter spoke again causing me to look away.

“Yeah and that’s as far as I’ll go. Plus I try not to fight people. It just happens.” He countered giving an insouciant shrug.

“No you and I kissing, just happens. My food getting smacked out of my hand just happens. Fighting doesn’t just happen.” I tried to keep my thoughts together as he leaned closer to me. Our chests weren't touching but we were most definitely close in proximity.

“You think about us kissing again?” He questioned his breath on my neck. My virgin bones were rattling more than normal today. This had to be the most hormonal day for me; I needed to get a grip.

“Hunter focus,” I snapped rolling my embarrassment away with my eyes.

“It’s like a reflex for me. Something I was made or well taught to do.” He sighed pushing away from me, allowing me to breath. His hazel eyes wouldn't make contact with mine.