Thirty Nights

Thirty Nights

            After silence was exchanged, Devlin left and I didn't have a reason to make him stay.  I stared at my laptop's screen as it flickered in the darkness of the room. The cream curtain's had been parted. City lights were beginning to come to life while the sun died away behind the horizon. 

            A nostalgic euphoria filled my bones, the kind one feels after someone takes the load off your back. Breaths filled my lungs easily. It wasn't a lie, talking to someone is the greatest cure.

                        There was still one problem I needed to solve and that was to find a college to go to. I was thinking of joining a community college since I didn't really apply for any colleges. I could transfer into a regular college after some credit in the community.

            A small mail icon appeared on the upper right column of the screen. It's probably some advert or spam mail. I clicked it nevertheless.

            To my very surprise, it was mail from Reilen University.

            Dear Alice Brown,

            It is my greatest pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted to our university. We offer a wide variety of art-related majors. Surprised as you may be, I have would really be honored if you decide to join Reilen University. Your portfolio has impressed our scouts and we would like to offer you admission at zero tuition for the first year. If you can decide to join us, this scholarship will proceed into the following semesters based on your GPA. Our fall semester begins from 3rd September. Be sure to register for classes by the end of the following week.

            Eagerly waiting for your reply!

            Aʙᴇʟᴀʀᴅ Bᴏɴɴᴀɪʀᴇ

            The Senior Dean

            It took me a good five to ten minutes to register the contents of the letter. Abelard- that guy in the sweatshirt was the dean of Reilen University. Chocolate Fudge!

            This was a miracle and miracles never happen to me. I slapped myself, twice.

It was real.

A slow, overjoyed smile began forming on my lips. Miracles do happen. A warm glow of the rising sun encased the room. The walls were yellow, the white bed sheets were now golden, and so was my future. After the dark night, the sun finally had risen for me. Maybe, just maybe this is what God wanted. He wanted me to adore life before a miracle was gifted.

△▼△▼△

            Sandy, Oliver, and I sat outside on the bleachers, watching our school football team practice for the last game of the season. The sun was looming high above our head in the cloudless sky. The wind was gentle and the weather was warm. It was a perfect last day of my school life. Oliver was laughing at a joke Sandy had just cracked.

           Sandy, I stared at her for a moment, her eyes glowed in the light, her pigtails swung back forth every time she twisted her neck to meet my gaze, the freckles on her cheeks turned brighter whenever Oliver's hand brushed against hers. Oliver, his dirty blonde hair was pasted against his forehead, as he moved- the slight smell of chlorine drifted through the air, and his stormy eyes would disappear behind his eyelids whenever he sighed.

Words cannot describe how I was going to miss them. In few months, Sandy will be leaving town to settle down in her dorm and so was Oliver. He was going to stay with his dad down in Florida. I supposed nothing lasts forever, not even this. Life is like long, winding highway where on the intersections you meet new people and when their exit comes, they have to leave.

"You should come to the dance tonight," Sandy bumped her shoulder against mine.

"We could all go together," Oliver suggested, grinning.

            "Not in the mood, guys" I sighed. "Plus I have to pack my bags and head home," The mere thought made my feet cold. I wonder how Liza and Dad will react.

"Aw, bummer," Sandy gave me a sad smile. "It's our last-"night together- She didn't complete her sentence as she stared off at the field where the football players wrestled each other.

"We'll keep in touch. You know like through e-mails and stuff," Oliver tried breaking the strange ice settling between us. My chest became heavy. Keep in touch that never works eventually one of us will stop replying and the other will forget about the friend they ever had.

We'll make new friends and the old ones will diminish in our memories.

            "Sure." I whispered, wrapping my hands around my arms. "We'll keep in touch,"

"Yah," Sandy replied, her eyes meet mine half-way. I could see the realization settle inside her eyes. She and I both knew that this was goodbye.

△▼△▼△

"So?" I could hear the sly smile on Bre's face as she folded my t-shirt and placed it inside the bright blue duffle bag. "How did everything go?"

After stuffing a handful of books inside my rucksack, I buckled its sequin front and turned to face her. "You're not making any sense,"

She collapsed on the bed. "Seriously? I'm talking about my idiotic cousin. Ring a bell,"

If only she wouldn't take me there. I did not want to talk about Devlin at this moment, not when I was grieving about goodbyes and was scared about meeting my family.

 How did everything go? I considered her question for a moment, shifting the weight from one foot to another.  I watch the crystal skies whirl about outside the French windows.

I felt his lips linger down my neck, I could feel his hands around my waist, I could see the fire, and I could hear my voice betraying all the secrets.  There were stars on his lashes and the universe inside my body.

Yet I did not know how everything went.

It was like I was child lost in the world. I did not know where to go from here and what to do. I really hoped that he knew everything, everywhere we had to go.

"It's was..." I couldn't find the words to say. Bre smiled as though she knew exactly what I was thinking.  

"Did he confess?"

"I love you just the way you are," His eyes glowed with something I couldn't decipher as he whispered the words in my ear.

            I shook my head. "No, he knew I wasn't drunk."

"Damn it," Bre punched the air. "No wonder he didn't yell at me,"

            Bre suddenly shot up in bed, her haunting grey eyes wide. "You guys did solve your problems. Right?"

            "Well," I curled a strand of hair around my finger. "We didn't get to the  solving our problems part,"

"Then what did you guys do all night long?"

            "He was only here for an hour," I muttered, red coloring my skin.

            "Alice!" Bre sighed, exasperated.

"Why are being so hyper about it? We've got plenty of time,"

            She took hold of both my shoulders. "Has he not told you anything?"

I furrowed my eyebrows together. "About what?"

            "He's  leaving for Nepal tonight,"

.

.

.

.

.

Note: I know I said that there would be one chapter left. Well, I'm breaking the last chapter into several chapters. So this part 1. I hope you enjoyed it. Ah! The end is so close. I might just cry.