Twenty-seven Drunk

Twenty-seven Drunk

I sat on the windowsill, watching the orange honey sun peak from the horizon, past the yellow haloed clouds. It was exactly two weeks ago when I had been sitting in my room back home, watching the sunrise with despair lurking inside my heart.  

Now here I sat again, in Bre's guest room, watching the same sun, watching the same sky but everything felt different.  

It would be unfair to say that Devlin changed me. He did not. He never tried to change me. Somehow it felt like he knew the old me. He knew that I was not who I pretended to be.  

He has simply set me free, unbinding me from the shackles that had kept me down.  

But still doesn't mean that he's the one who brought the real me out.  

I myself brought this change. No human being can ever change you. You always have to be the one to take the initiative.  

Everything had failed though. I wasn't supposed to fall for him, not this madly. Maybe he wasn't a blessing, maybe he was a disease, a disease that won't ever kill me. 

△▼△▼△

"Alice!" I nearly fell off the bed, the novel I had been reading landed on the floor with a loud thud. Bre barged into my room like a merry child who had gotten a new toy for Christmas. "Holy shit! You won't believe it!" 

She gripped my shoulders with both hands. She had gone out to meet Yuv's parents for lunch. I'm guessing that it had gone well. 

"They liked you," I grinned.  

She shook her head, for a moment my heart fell. "THEY LOVED ME!" 

"I told you,"  

"I was fretting for nothing. I mean they're so nice and his mom thought my tattoos were cool. She even asked me from where I got my haircut." Bre pointed at her short cut hair that barely went past the nape of her neck.  

"She's sounds amazing," I watched Bre twirl a strand of hair around her index finger. "I have another good news for you," 

"What is it?"  

"I cleared all my exams," The results had come this morning, just after Bre had left with Yuv. It was uploaded on my school account online. I got 83% in communication applications, 75% in botany, and 98% in human health science. It was more than what I could've hoped for. My hard work had finally paid off.  

There was radiant smile on Bre's face.  

"You know what this calls for?" There was a look on her face that told me whatever was running around in her mind wasn't good. "A party," 

"I'm not the party type..." I started out but she was quick to interrupt me.  

"First, I'm going to change into my pajamas... this dress is too chocking the shit outta me," She pointed at her tight-fitted maroon dress. I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion. "Oh! Come on, I'm not talking about a hardcore party. Devlin would kill me. Just a small get together. Brandon and Yuv are downstairs. Bear with them until come down and beat them up," 

"You aren't gonna beat up your boyfriend, are you?" I asked, skeptically.  

A sinister smile over took Bre's features. "You have no idea," 

△▼△▼△

The lounge in Bre's mansion was a serenely calm room. Warm, red curtains covered the walls and the windows, suspending the place into a murky darkness. Yuv was sitting by the fireplace when I arrived and Brandon had hoisted himself up on a metal stool by the bar. They were throwing their typical insults across the room.