Chapter 29 - 🖤

Start from the beginning

"I am awake, where are you?" I ask, still looking around for him to magically appear.

His voice cracks a bit when he speaks again, "I miss you sweetheart. Lily misses you too."

Lily, my beautiful girl.

"Come back to me gorgeous.. come back to us." My heart hurts when he tells me this. It's starting to sound more like he's begging me.

"I don't know how to Damon." I say as my own voice cracks.

"Baby." I turn in what I hope is the direction his voice is coming from. "You're a fighter. Come back to me, please."

I start walking while he continues saying sweet, comforting things to me.

"You're going to be ok." He speaks in a firm tone. "When you come back, I'm going to spend the rest of my life making this up to you."

I start smiling and continue walking absentmindedly closer to his deep voice that always gets my heart beating faster.

Beep... Beep... Beep.

I hear machines all around me but all I see is darkness. I could feel someone's hand holding my right hand but I don't know who.

Slowly, my eyes start to open. I immediately shut them because of the brightness and after a few seconds, I open them again.

Everything is blurry at first but then my vision begins to clear. My head is pounding and my body aches. I look around and notice that I'm in the hospital.

Then, I feel someone still holding my hand and a little weight across my stomach. I look to my right to see Damon, holding my hand with one of his own and his free arm is hugging me while his head lays next to me on the hospital bed.

I lift my left hand and place it gently on his cheek. He moves his head a little and I start caressing his cheek with my thumb.

His eyes slowly open and he immediately picks his head up and turns to me. I see tears building up in his eyes as he just stares at me with his mouth slightly open in shock.

"You're awake." He says more to himself than to me like if he can't believe it.

I give him a small smile and he continues talking before I could say anything.

"I'm so sorry!! I should've protected you! Please forgive me!" He pleads in a whisper but loud enough so that I could still hear him.

"T-there's nothing to forgive." I clear my throat. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"I'll do better, I promise!" He says sincerely.

I grab his hand and squeeze it reassuringly, "It's okay, Damon."

He shakes his head and looks down, "No, no it's not." He takes a deep breath before looking back up into my eyes, "Baby, I love you."

I lift my head up from the pillow a bit as my eyes go wide and my mouth falls open in shock.

He loves me? Why? Since when?

"You don't have to say it back beautiful. I just..." He lets out a sigh and looks down again.

Do I love him? I mean, he didn't leave when he found out about lily. He stayed and he even treats her like his own daughter. He's an amazing dad to her and he's been amazing to me. I think.. no, I know I do.