26 | Whatever It Takes

Five's POV
"Five, I've been waiting for you," Handler called as I walked up to the door.

I stepped into the room, sighing as I took in the scene before me.

A woman was strapped up in a chair, tape covering her mouth.

"You must really like doughnuts," I said, eyeing the table full of assorted doughnuts.

"Help me!" the woman said, her voice muffled from the tape.

"It's been a while," Handler started.

"Three days," I shrugged.

"For you, maybe. But for me, it's been a lot longer since I've seen those adorable little shorts."

"Well, you've had time to heal."

She sighed, walking towards me. "Luckily, for both of us, time...is the one thing my organization has an abundance of."

"Got your message, by the way," I replied, holding up the tracker. "Nice packaging, but so much for Commission protocol."

She chuckled, "There have been...a lot of changes since you left the Commission. You really did some damage. The briefcases were all but destroyed, to say nothing of the...highly trained personnel you killed. After all, what is an institution if not for-"

"What do you want?" I asked dryly.

"To be happy. To have a simple...unfettered life, to...do the work my superiors require. But...your being here, well, it complicates all that."

"Billions of people are about to die tonight. You can change that."

"Tonight, tomorrow. So little difference in the scheme of things. Oh, and by the way, so sorry for your loss, truly..." she smiled, eating a French fry.

"What loss?" I questioned, shoving my hands in my pockets.

She looked at me with confusion. "Oh, you mean, y/n hasn't died yet?"

I clenched my jaw, glaring at her.

She chuckled softly, eating another French fry. "Don't you remember the Commission's raison d'être? What's meant to be is meant to be, or, as I like to say, que será, será."

"It's bullshit in any language," I spat. "Why did you call me here?"

"I wanna offer you a choice. Everyone's going to die tonight, but...unlike the rest of the world, you have a way out. You can abandon your family and skip ahead to the apocalypse, take a walkabout for a few decades, wondering if I'll come back and offer you a job again, or you can stay here, with your family, and...die a horrible death," she laughed, unscrewing a cork.

"While you weigh your options, just know your siblings-and lover-are fighting for their lives without you."

"You brought me here to pull me away," I stated.

"It's been nice knowing you, Five."

Y/n's POV
We ran up the stairs, hearing the orchestra play in the distance.

Allison stopped Luther. "Y/n and I should go alone."

"Wha-No, I can't let you do that, all right? She's beyond reasoning."

"You hear the music? It's started," Diego said, his words rushed.

"Do you honestly think she's gonna listen?" Luther questioned, looking at Allison. "After everything that's happened?"

"We don't have time for this," Klaus exclaimed."

"Okay."

Allison grabbed my hand, but I shook it off. "I'm sorry Allison. I can't. Five was right, we-"