20 | Darling, Dearest, Dead

Y/n's POV
"Mr. Luntz, can you hear me?" the officer asked as the man in the hospital bed groaned.

"Who, um...Who are you?" Mr. Luntz questioned.

"I'm Sergeant Cheddar, and these are..." he started, gesturing toward Allison and me. "These are my...associates. Just have a couple questions for you."

"Am I in trouble?"

"No trouble, nothin' like that. I just...I wanted to ask you about the accident in the Bearskin Tavern parking lot last night."

"You're a cop," the man stated. "You gotta protect me no matter what, right?"

"It's my sworn duty," Cheddar replied.

"It was no accident."

"What do you mean?"

"This guy...hired us to start a fight. He wanted us to rough him up in front of his girlfriend. He paid real good, up front. We got drunk. Took it a little too far. Started to hassle the girl, too. And then, all hell broke loose," Mr. Luntz explained.

"The guy who paid you, what did he look like? Brown hair, light scruff, slight build?" I urged.

"Yeah. Yeah, that's him."

"Well, that's a...a really good guess," Cheddar defended.

I smirked, crossing my arms.

"Is this the girlfriend?" Allison spoke, showing a picture of Vanya.

"Hey, uh...Just, um...Just a moment," Cheddar excuses, pulling us out of the room. "Hey, by any chance, is your movie called Small Town Cop Falls for Hollywood Superstar's Bullshit?"

"I am sorry for misleading you," Allison replied.

"I believe the word would be 'lying.'"

"I'm sorry I lied. But we didn't know how else to get answers," Allison mumbled, showing Vanya's picture. "This is my sister. And I think the guy that put him in the hospital has her. Y/n and I have to find her."

"I could get fired for just bringing you two down here with me."

"Please. I think she's in trouble. We need your help," I added.

"Answer the lady's question," Cheddar sighed. "Is this the girlfriend?"

"Sorry, but the doctor's ordered more tests," a nurse announced, coming into the room. "You're gonna have to ask him questions later."

I sighed, rolling my eyes before walking out of the room.

⏩⏩⏩

"Hey, Dale?" the nurse from before asked.

"Yup?" Cheddar answered, turning to her.

"Have you seen Mr. Luntz?"

"No, why?"

"I took him to X-ray, and then he disappeared."

"We...You better get security know. I'll call it in."

"Yeah," she replied, walking away.

"Oh, wait, one more thing," Allison said, stopping her. "Do you recognize this woman?"

"Mm. She left with Mr. Peabody this morning," the nurse exclaimed.

"Wait, this morning?" I questioned as the nurse walked away. "They must've been here when we stopped by the cabin."

"Maybe they went back there," Allison continued, smiling hopefully. "We're gonna go get my sister."

"Woah, hold on," Cheddar yelped. "We got a missing vic, and this guy might be dangerous. I need you both to stay here."