4 | Surprising Sights

Five's POV
I could only hope that y/n was okay.

Maybe I should've told her before I left. Maybe I should've brought her with me. It was never my intention to stay here for as long as I am, but still.

It was my fault she was hurt and I hated that. If I was just there for her like I had promised, she wouldn't be fighting for her life right now. She wouldn't be hurt. All of her pain was my fault.

I turned my attention to Delores and sighed.

"Do you remember that, uh, little mansion just outside the city limits?" I asked, chuckling to myself. "Well, it turns out the wine cellar was untouched. Picked up a few cases of your favorite Bordeaux," I said before taking a drink.

"That's an exaggeration, I don't drink too much. You know, I work hard all day."

"Why would you even say that?"

I heard some rocks move and instantly got up, aiming my gun at the noise. Looking through the scope, I see a woman dressed in all black, waving at me.

"Who the hell are you?!"
"I'm here to help," she replied, walking forward.

"Tell me why I shouldn't put a bullet through your head right now!"
"Because...if you did, you wouldn't hear the offer I'm about to make you," she said, taking off her sunglasses. "Which would be rather tragic, given your...current circumstances."

I stepped forward, hundreds of thoughts coursed through my brain.

Who was she? Why was she here? How did she find me?

"I work for an organization called The Commission. We are tasked with the preservation of the time continuum through manipulation and removals."

"I don't understand," I replied, keeping my gun in hand.

"Sometimes, people...make choices that alter time. Free will, don't get me started. When that happens, we dispatch one of our agents to...eliminate the threat."

Eliminate? Threat?

I aimed my gun at her.

"No no no, you misunderstand me. You're not a target. You're a recruit. I've come to offer you a job, Number Five. We've had our eye on you for quite some time. And we think you have a lot of potential. Your survival skills have made you quite a celebrity back at headquarters. That and your ability to jump through time," she explained.

"You're saying that I...I could actually leave here? Go back?"

"In return for five years of service. Once your contract is done, you can retire to the time and place of your choosing with a pension plan to boot."

"If you can alter time. Why not just stop all of this from ever happening?"

"That's quite impossible, I'm afraid. You see...all of this, it was supposed to happen."

"That's insane. The end of everything?"

"Not everything. Just the end of...something. So," she exclaimed as she held her hand out, "do we have an agreement?"

I looked back at Delores, awaiting her answer. I wasn't sure if she was telling the truth about me being able to go back, but anything was better than this hell hole, so I decided to go.

They turned me into the perfect instrument for rehabilitation of the time continuum. Or "corrections" as they called them. I wasn't the only one. There are others like me. Beings out of time, fractured, extracted from the lives that they knew. I don't know how they got there. But I do know that none of them were as good as me.