12 | Like a Dog

Y/n's POV
Five and I walked down the long hall, toward Klaus' room.

I glanced over at him, wanting to say something, but decided not to. I looked at my feet, focused on the pattern of the tile on the floor.

I wanted to ask what happened to me in the apocalypse, but Five seemed so heartbroken when Luther brought it up.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Y/n," Five said softly.

I hummed in response.

"I-I...I know what you're..." he sighed, "you um..."

"Five, you don't have to say anything. It pains you to talk about-I don't want you to be upset over whatever happened to me in the apocalypse because it-I'll be okay, is what I'm trying to say," I explained, smiling.

"I hope so," he muttered. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

His demeanor changed completely as soon as he noticed red stains of blood on the floor. We walked up to Klaus' door, knocking as we came in.

"You okay?" Five questioned.

"Hey. Yeah, I just...Long night," Klaus replied, looking down.

He wasn't his usual bubbly self, so I assumed that something was wrong.

"More than one, from the looks of it," I chuckled lightly.

"Yeah," Klaus said, putting a shirt on.

"Don't remember the dog tags," Five added, glancing at the tags around his neck.

"Yeah, they belonged to a friend."

"How about that new tattoo?" Five asked, looking at his arm.

"You know, I don't totally remember even getting it. Like I said, it was a long night."

"You did it, didn't you?" Five urged, smiling.

"What are you talkin' about?"

"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus," Five exclaimed, walking up to him.

No. He couldn't have.

"But he did."

"Symptoms of what?"

"The jet lag. Full body itch. The headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain. You gonna tell me about it?"

"Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you, they took me hostage instead," Klaus started.

"And in return, you stole their briefcase," Five finished, astonished.

"Yeah. I thought there was money in it, or I could pawn it, you know, whatever. And then I opened it."

"And then next thing you knew, you were...where? Or should I say when?" Five asked, pacing.

"What difference does it make?" Klaus sighed.

"What diff—Uh—Okay, how long were you gone?"

"Almost a year."

"A year?" I questioned, shocked.

"Do you know what this means?" Five exclaimed.

"Yeah, I'm ten months older now."

"No, this isn't any sort of joke, Klaus. Hazel and Cha-Cha will do whatever they can to get the briefcase. Where is it now?" Five looked around the room.

"Gone. I destroyed it. Poof," Klaus said, representing an explosion with his hand.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Five sneered.

"What do you care?"

"What do I care? I needed it, you moron, so I could get back."

Wait, what?

"I could start over," Five continued.

"Just...just..." Klaus shooed, walking out of his room.

"Where are you going?" I asked as Klaus pushed past me.

"Interrogation's over, just...leave."

Five looked over at his desk, grabbing a pen and some note paper.

"Five?"

He quickly wrote something down before scratching it out.

"Come on," he said, grabbing my hand and walking to his room.

He grabbed some chalk and began writing on the walls.

"Uh Five, what are you doing?"

He shushed me and continued to write some sort of equations.

⏩⏩⏩

"Oh. Okay, I think I've got something, Delores. It's tenuous, but promising," he said as he studied the equation he had written down.

"Uh, I'm here too," I shouted in annoyance.

"Who you talkin' to? What is all of this?" Luther questioned as he walking into the room.

"It's a probability map."

"Probability of what?"

"Of whose death could save the world," Five looked back at Luther.

Are you serious?

I glared at Five.

"I've narrowed it down to four."

I scoffed, "Is Delores one of them?"

"No, but you are," Five shot back.

"Ouch," I said, looking down.

"Are you saying one of these four people causes the apocalypse?" Luther questioned, ignoring Five's statement towards me.

"No, I'm saying that their death might prevent it."

"Oh. I'm not following," Luther said quietly. "Plus, why would y/n be on that list?"

"I—" Five started but I cut him off.

"Nice to know you want me dead."

"I never said that," Five replied bluntly.

I scoffed, heading out the door.

Five teleported in front of me. "Y/n, please, I'm sorry. You aren't really on the list. I just—I can't deal with..."

"You can't deal with me right now?"

"Y/n, I'm under a lot of stress right now and it would really help if you just—"

"What? Followed you around blindly like a stupid dog?" I spat, tears forming in my eyes.

"No—"

I chuckled half-heartedly, looking down. "I should've never—I can't believe-"

"Y/n, that's not what I—"

I scoffed, shaking my head. "Unbelievable."

I pushed past Five, ignoring his pleads for me to stay.

Tears trickled down my face as I pushed the Academy doors open. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach as I realized that Five and I had just had our first real fight.

How could I have been so stupid?

✧♬•*¨*•.。。.•*¨*•♬✧✧♬•*¨*•.。。.•*¨*•♬✧