Chapter 6: Accidents and Souvenirs

Começar do início

"Oh, that's Viktor Krum, the Bulgarian Seeker! He's the best Seeker in the world!" he replied excitedly.

"Wow..." Better than Harry Potter?

We walked around, studying each of the tents. Some actually looked like normal tents to the point that I wished I could give them kudos for knowing how to properly hide their magical ways. Others looked even shockingly bigger than ours. It got to the point I started actively searching to see if anyone made a mini Hogwarts tent. No such luck.

I followed Draco outside the area of the tents, and was taken aback when he pulled out his wand.

I stopped in my tracks. "What are you doing?"

"Getting some practice in," he said simply, his expression so calm it was as if he didn't know what was wrong with it.

"But we're not in school, and the Ministry has to be here to keep other wizards in line so they'll catch you easily. They are able to trace us."

He snorted, holding back a laugh with his hand.

"What's so funny?" I asked suspiciously.

"Don't you know that the Ministry can't trace exactly who's casting a spell?"

My brow furrowed as I looked at him, "They can't specifically trace it from your wand?"

Draco shook his head. "The Ministry can only trace where an underage wizard is located, not whether or not we're casting it from our wand. The two of us live in magical homes, so they can't know if it's us casting it or an adult."

I frowned in thought, "Damn, then I could've been practicing spells at home all along...?"

"I would've thought you'd know that, Mel. It's got to be in some book. Anyways, the rule is only in place to make sure underage wizards don't cast magic in front of Mudbloods —" he paused when I glared at him, and sighed in exasperation. "Sorry — Muggles — that aren't supposed to know about magic."

I smiled mischievously as I thought about how mom told me not to get into trouble... I never promised I wouldn't. And since she thought I wouldn't find out the truth about the Ministry's tracing actual abilities, having told me that they could trace it directly to the user, I felt I had a right to get whatever practice I wanted in.

Admittedly, I was curious after being sent home for Christmas my first year at Hogwarts with the task of becoming an Animagus why Ministry officials hadn't shown up at the house immediately after I accomplished it. But, I'd dumbed it down to it being authorized by Professor Quirrell, Severus, and my mom... I hate not knowing the truth. Why would she lie?

In an attempt to forget my frustration, I excitedly pulled out my own wand. "In that case, have you read the school books yet to see what spells we'll be doing this year? We can practice on each other... actually, scratch that, I can practice on you and you can practice on a dummy."

He shook his head firmly, "Please, I like to enjoy my summer vacation away from school work —" He waved his arm around as he talked. He didn't notice but, whenever it started to point at me, I immediately ducked.

"— Um, Draco –"

"— and anyway, what do you mean I can't practice on you? I know what I'm doing —"

"— Whatever you say, but Draco —"

Too late. Sparks burst out of his wand and hit a nearby tree. It toppled over, hit in such a way that it looked like a clean cut from an axe. The tree started to fall in our direction.